Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Portia Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 02:15 PM
We just finished reading Dahl's "Matilda". I found it very interesting to watch DS's reaction to it as the book makes a very strong point that Matilda is very unusual. He did not really see how she was all that different until she was able to move matter.

I thought it might be fun to hear how other children reacted reading about a character so similar to themselves.
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 04:16 PM
DD loves Matilda! Well, she loves many of Dahl's child-protagonists, actually. They all have that element of being a singular center in a crazy and hostile world.

DD has found that the song Quiet from the musical almost perfectly encapsulates the experience of being HG+.

I love that there is a message that different is not "bad" in Dahl's works. smile
Posted By: syoblrig Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 04:35 PM
My DS must have read Matilda three times in 1st and 2nd grade. He really identified with her. My DD loved it, too. But she's much more gentle than him, and the meanness was almost too much for her to take, so I don't think she'll read it again for quite a while.
Posted By: Melessa Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 08:03 PM
I don't have anything to contribute (my ds hasn't read Matilda yet). He does love Dahl books in general. I was not suggesting this one, but now I shall. (I already have it in my closet. I've been giving it as a gift.)

Thanks for sharing. My ds is in great need of "feeling" that being different is ok.
Posted By: Khombi Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 11:37 PM
DS 5 is reading Matilda now. He pointed out that she learned to read as a baby like he did. He was impressed with her math skills and wanted to know if he could have a book by Dickens.
Posted By: Khombi Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/02/13 11:40 PM
DS also told the Director at his Preschool that he was very thankful that she was not in the least like Miss Trunchbull!
I'm going to pick this up for DS. Thanks!
Posted By: St. Margaret Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/03/13 03:40 PM
DD read Matilda this summer and loved it. Her aunt saw the musical and sent the London Cast recording and other merch and basically the entire family could sing the full album through now. She just sang "Quiet" for her weekly recitation at school and was so disappointed the kids only knew Matilda from the movie. She was Matilda for Halloween, too. I'm glad you posted this; I've been meaning to bring it up here as a good relatable character.
Posted By: Nautigal Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/04/13 06:46 PM
Oddly, I don't recall ever having read Matilda. I'll have to check it out. Maybe it will ring a bell when I see it.
Posted By: Stephi1307 Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/05/13 08:37 AM
My son loved it. He was very mad at how Matilda's parents treated her lol (sensitive kid). He also enjoyed her ability to trick miss trunchbull. He has a very high reading level, but enjoys books with some comedy in them, so this was great. I didn't actually ask him what he thought of Matilda's character so I will have to do that and see if he related!
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/05/13 11:22 AM
My DD enjoyed the book and the film. She has enjoyed most of the character's that Roald Dahl has conjured up. Being a bright and somewhat highly strung girl she did identify more with Matilda but ultimately I think she enjoyed the slapstick elements.
Posted By: cammom Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/05/13 12:37 PM
DS has read and loved several of Dahl's books and Matilda is on the list for Christmas.
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/05/13 09:50 PM
Matilda is on our christmas wish list too smile
Posted By: Stephi1307 Re: Child's reaction to Dahl's Matilda - 11/06/13 01:11 AM
Just wanted to mention that if any of you have access to a costco membership, they have a huge box set of Roald Dahl for 20 or 25 dollars which makes a nice holiday gift for our gifties =]
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum