Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: doubtfulguest The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 05:53 PM
hello, friends!

since we've talked a lot about art recently, here is the long-promised Art Thread. please post your images somewhere and tell some stories!

i'll get us going with the latest from DD5, who recently taught herself aspects of perspective. this is her first work using a proper vanishing point, which we discussed in homeschool today.

[Linked Image from s9.postimg.org]

ready, steady, GO! can't wait to see the rest...
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 06:07 PM
We don't have any talent in this area but I showed your DD's drawing to my DS6 and he really enjoyed it. We are both so impressed!! Thanks for sharing it. Lovely to see the advanced techniques she is showing and that she is getting to grow that talent in home school.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 06:13 PM
oh, that's so cool! and yeah - homeschool, is just... wow. last year, all she did in school was scribble and count on her fingers because that's what was expected. this year - she is clearly eating up concepts like there's no tomorrow.

i had a dream that i sent some of her current work to her one of her old teachers just to give her an aneurysm. (indeed, i am a terrible, terrible person!)
Posted By: aquinas Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 06:44 PM
That's impressive, doubtfulguest! The colourful blending of sky and land is also quite eye-catching. It's a picture that you can linger over and appreciate.

Homeschooling is definitely paying off. It's reassuring to know that your daughter is enjoying herself so much and, obviously, blossoming even after her bad school experience.
Posted By: HappilyMom Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 06:44 PM
Hee hee. I must admit having a few fantasies about DS' old teachers as well... We had 3 phenomenal teachers, 2 so-so, 2 awful, and 1 clueless one before jumping ship. I can totally relate to that feeling.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/11/13 07:26 PM
ha, HappilyMom, maybe we also need an Ultimate Comeback Thread - one where everyone can work out the stuff they can't actually say...
Posted By: indigo Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/13/13 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
... since we've talked a lot about art recently, here is the long-promised Art Thread. please post your images somewhere and tell some stories! ... ready, steady, GO! can't wait to see the rest...
How enjoyable! smile Are you familiar with the make-it kits... kids can draw their masterpiece on special paper which is then sent away and comes back incorporated into a plate. In addition to being a novel way to permanently keep some of your child's favorite portfolio pieces, we found this made a great party or play date activity. Here is a link to the one we used, there may be other brands as well - http://www.makit.com/Content.aspx?Page=ARTPROJECTS
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/13/13 07:02 PM
Here is a piece Frannie (age 9 3rd grade when completed) completed in the spring for art class. They were learning and modeling Wayne Thiebaud.

http://postimg.org/image/plnjbyqm5/

edited to add ... oooo that is BIG sorry
Posted By: indigo Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/13/13 07:31 PM
YUMM! The student may have surpassed the master... her treats seem even more tempting than Wayne Thiebaud's.

What strikes me among these different works which parents have posted are the detail and the dedication of time. These are not quick sketches but show persistence and completion.

Impressive and fun to see.
smile
Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/14/13 01:08 AM
Doubtful...

First off-(((hugs))) to you for posting this!

My son (6.6) wants to know what the red thing is next to the blue bird sitting on the railing.

I'll scan my son's "Pandor's Clonkacoris" later this week. (His rendition of a device he would invent to eradicate eye drops for kids who need vision therapy.)
Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/14/13 01:11 AM
i had a dream that i sent some of her current work to her one of her old teachers just to give her an aneurysm. (indeed, i am a terrible, terrible person!)

I sooo do not believe dreams should come true.

NOT!
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/14/13 04:14 PM
Here are some recent (last couple of weeks) drawings by DD9. I will probably not leave these up long.

(deleted)
Posted By: frannieandejsmom Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/14/13 04:25 PM
great drawings ultramarina! I love the detail
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/15/13 04:09 PM
oh wow, i'm so behind on these! amazing, all of them.

frannieandejsmom - just... wow. Frannie's piece is literally bursting with energy.

squishys - this IS a fun one, isn't it? i love the food one with the pretzel - very tricky and everything is so carefully rendered. i think indigo nails it there - there's just so much time and effort put into all of these!

Ametrine, i think the reddish thing is the slope of the grassy area as it comes down toward the water. there's a bit of colour variation in there that got a bit messy for DD5 when she realized it might come out the same shade as the railings - she wound up making that area lighter, rather than darker (except for those top bits). with such a limited range of colours in her case, contrast is worrying her these days - i think i'll have to get her a better pack of pencil crayons soon!

ultramarina - holy! those are INCREDIBLE. i love the cat one especially - there's so much personality and life in that one.

keep 'em coming, folks!! smile
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/15/13 04:41 PM
dg, frannie, squishy, ultramarina, those are some amazing works, well beyond what a typical age peer could produce. VERY IMPRESSIVE!

dg, I have been meaning to post my DD's artwork but it is taking some time to first locate them, then make sure there are no identifiers. Also, many of hers are videos as the final product doesn't quite match the thinking process but I don't want to post videos. Sorry but I will have something posted soon.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/16/13 09:28 PM
looking forward to it, Lovemydd!

and... more mathy goodness from DD5 today - an exploration of Necker cubes!

[Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]
Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/16/13 11:35 PM
Okay, here's the Pandors Clonkacoris.

Some of this is off the pic. That's "Eye Drop Free" on the far left. The joysticks control the gauges on each of their respective sides.

As you can see, he's still very enthralled with measurement by gauges.

(He said the word Pasant's is patients.)

http://tinypic.com/r/jqqm54/5

This is just one of multiple drawings DS comes up with for his "inventions". He has so many, I had to get a special file that hangs from his bedroom door to store them all in.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/16/13 11:40 PM
Oh, did I mention DS' strength is NOT in drawing? LoL

Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/17/13 01:18 AM
doubtfulguestt, your DD has absolutely incredible fine motor control and precision for 5. My DD was far ahead in this area at 5 and there is no way she could have done that then. Even now, she would do that somewhat better, but not a LOT better.
Posted By: MumOfThree Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/17/13 07:02 AM
Love seeing all these gorgeous works! I apologize for being too lazy to start up a new account somewhere to share pics from.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/17/13 12:56 PM
hi MumOfThree! i just use Postimage (google "free image hosting" and you'll see it) because i, too, am WAY too lazy to set up accounts! smile

Ametrine - inventions are awesome! Pandors Clonkacoris with all its gauges is fantastic - and i love how much style your DS' handwriting already has - love the curly tails on the a/l/d/etc…

and ultramarina, that's kind of you to mention - like a lot of us, i'm in this bubble where i don't really know what to expect at which age! although... DD did start cursive this week and it's going weirdly well, so yeah, maybe you're right and it's not just the math that's coming through here? i'm still so naive about this stuff - very grateful to you all, as usual!
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/17/13 05:37 PM
No, definitely not just the math, although that clearly helps. Very strong drafting skills, and also obviously a long attention span and attention to detail and precision. Does she have amazing handwriting?

I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about what makes a child artistically talented and what artistic talent in a child is. There is an eye for good design. I saw this in preschool with DD. All the kids would do the same project--gluing precut circles on construction paper, for instance, and I would walk up to hers and admire it because it was the coolest-looking, without knowing it was hers (name on the back). There is drafting skill and patience. DD is quite good at this, but not EXTREMELY good--some kids are incredible. We also notice that she does not have nearly the ability with 3-D forms as with pencil and paper, whereas some children are more able to "make it happen" in 3 dimensions. Then there is the creative spark, which is surely the one that is the hardest (perhaps impossible) to teach. DD definitely has this, although at times I worry brecause I see her stuff being more derivative due to peer influence. But you know...time, and all that.
Posted By: KJP Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/17/13 09:19 PM
Here is some of DS's art. He did all these when he was four.

http://postimg.org/image/3xdwu7f0d/

http://postimg.org/image/dgj09xd4t/

http://postimg.org/image/4wzmc64sd/

Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/18/13 11:46 PM
Ametrine - inventions are awesome! Pandors Clonkacoris with all its gauges is fantastic - and i love how much style your DS' handwriting already has - love the curly tails on the a/l/d/etc…

When he first started drawing gauges, it never occurred to us we may have an inventor on our hands...that is until he started asking about the little "R" in a circle (registered trademark), around four years old. He moved on from there to asking about copyright. Since then, we regularly share stories with him about inventions/inventors.

Thanks on his handwriting. It's been his biggest improvement since September. We're thinking perhaps the vision therapy is affecting that; as well as lots 'o practice!
Posted By: Ametrine Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/18/13 11:55 PM
Those are gorgeous works. I love the moon, especially. I can see a montage of his works set to Debussy and posted to YouTube.

Painting in watercolor has never been easy for me.
Posted By: KJP Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/19/13 02:28 AM
Thanks Ametrine. That is a wonderful idea.

The moon is my favorite too.

Recently he has started being very much the little business man about his art. He wants to gather it all together and sell it door to door. When I told him I like them and want to keep them he replied "Of course you can keep my art, Mom. Just make sure you are the highest bidder and it is yours!"
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/19/13 03:05 AM
Emily painted this watercolor when she was 5. I enrolled her in a four hour art class (one hour a day for four days) and had no real idea what type of class it was. They taught her how to mark her canvas into quadrants and draw free hand from a picture of a fish that she selected from a magazine. Afterwards, she painted her fish in watercolor and I am not sure if you can see or not, but they used salt to make the sea water bubble. Best class ever! The lady moved, so we couldn't take another class from her, but Emily has always loved to draw and paint since she was very young. She is 9 now and still does amazing artwork, but this is the only one I have ever taken a picture of because I wanted to show it to my sister (who is an artist) to get her opinion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/kellyandemily/17344_1326335992070_5610917_n.jpg
Posted By: Mana Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/19/13 06:08 AM
Everyone's work is amazing! If their teacher(s) cannot tell that they are on a very different developmental path from most children then they are as blind as a bat.

DD is still refusing to do much art due to perfectionism but one of these days, I'll scan some of her maps.

Originally Posted by KJP

KJP, have you read this book with your DS?

http://www.amazon.com/Thank-You-Fal...461&sr=8-1&keywords=thank+you+mr.+falker

His drawings remind me of her work.
Posted By: aquinas Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/19/13 07:06 PM
We have some beautifully soulful young artists, it seems! Thank you everyone for sharing these lovely works. It's a treat to have a view into your children's worlds. smile
Posted By: KJP Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/20/13 04:46 AM
Thanks for the book recommendation, Mana. DS6 is a recently diagnosed dyslexic so I think he'll enjoy it.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/21/13 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by ultramarina
No, definitely not just the math, although that clearly helps. Very strong drafting skills, and also obviously a long attention span and attention to detail and precision. Does she have amazing handwriting?

I've spent a fair bit of time thinking about what makes a child artistically talented and what artistic talent in a child is. There is an eye for good design. I saw this in preschool with DD. All the kids would do the same project--gluing precut circles on construction paper, for instance, and I would walk up to hers and admire it because it was the coolest-looking, without knowing it was hers (name on the back). There is drafting skill and patience. DD is quite good at this, but not EXTREMELY good--some kids are incredible. We also notice that she does not have nearly the ability with 3-D forms as with pencil and paper, whereas some children are more able to "make it happen" in 3 dimensions. Then there is the creative spark, which is surely the one that is the hardest (perhaps impossible) to teach. DD definitely has this, although at times I worry brecause I see her stuff being more derivative due to peer influence. But you know...time, and all that.

oh, man i'm SO behind on these again...

it's funny, i didn't realize DD5's handwriting was anything special until i had to take a hard look at it to place her in an appropriate grade for homeschool. we have to work just a little more on stamina, but it's easily acceptable for Grade 3, which is handy because we're doing 3-4 this year in all the other subjects. (hence the cursive - which she says is so! much! fun!)

the design-sense is really neat, isn't it? i've thought a lot about art, too - i'm a graphic designer, but not really artistic myself. i can sketch, but it's the problem-solving aspect of my work that appeals to me, and composition really is half the battle. does your DD take photographs, too? i always think the "eye" shows up so clearly (or not!) in the frame.

and KJP... holy, those have so much spirit. the MOOOOOON. just... wow.

i love this thread so much. keep them coming, friends!
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 10/22/13 02:08 AM
Photography is the one art I can do (I can NOT draw, or paint, or...you get the idea, but in photography, the camera does so much for you--it's more of a pure expression of eye). I need to teach DD more about the technicalities of photo-taking, but yes, she takes very interesting shots.

She made the most lovely necklaces at art class lately.

I love the moon shot, too, KJP! It is very like a lovely children's book illustration somehow.

Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/06/13 08:41 PM
i miss the art thread. can i get us going again with a work in progress from DD5? would love to see some more works of art!

"close up of a giant water bug nymph on my finger as seen over a pond with flowers in it"
Posted By: madeinuk Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/06/13 10:34 PM
KJP - you have a talented young artist for sure. The use of colour is sophisticated and there is a strong dynamism in the first image. The way that that sails are billowed suggests a fair wind and that effect is supported well by the turbulent sea that he has painted.
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/08/13 08:41 PM
yay, Lovemydd - a whole gallery! so neat to see your DD's work. and good for you for having the presence of mind to photograph the impermanent ones - i always forget to do that!

very interesting use of negative space on the eleventh one - and i really love the one with the purple bird and the cat, and the cherry on the next one looks delicious!

this is really fun - i hope we get more added sooooon!
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/27/13 07:38 PM
oh, no! please don't let this thread be only me... more, please, everyone!

DD5 - christmas gift project 2013 / pen & ink (image edited to remove her signature)
flowers
Posted By: aquinas Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/27/13 08:13 PM
What stately flowers! Merry Christmas to you and yours, doubtfulguest!
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/28/13 01:42 AM
Those are amazing, dg. She's really talented--you realize this, yes? She's way, way ahead of where my DD was at 5, and DD is definitely artistically gifted.
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/28/13 03:05 AM
Doubtfulguest, I want to second what ultramarina said. Your dd is light years ahead! And reading your other posts, it is not just art but all other stuff too. You have an amazing little one:)
Ps. I reposted the link to my dd's drawings.
Posted By: Mana Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/28/13 08:31 PM
I agree with PPs. Doubtfulguest, I don't think the word asynchrony applies to your DD much. It seems like she isn't only advanced but also talented across all areas. She is globally gifted and while I'm sure that comes with its own set of challenges, it's also something to be celebrated.

My DD's drawings on the other hand are perfect visual representations of her asynchronous development. They look very much like work done by a three year old. They are a mess. But, if you take a closer look, her human figures reflect her knowledge of anatomy and contain 20+ details as well as a base line and background. It's like she's 3 and 7 at the same time and that's pretty much who she is at the moment...for better or for worse.
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/29/13 04:12 AM
Here are some new drawings of DD9's from an Xmas gift she made.

These were drawn using field guides, but probably not copied--she tends to synthesize different drawings while also drawing on her own knowledge. And yeah, she needs a real art teacher to teach her about shading.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/29/13 04:21 PM
Very nice ultramarina! I loved the chickadee, so cute!!
Posted By: Lovemydd Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/29/13 05:46 PM
I love the sketch of the brown thrasher ultramarina. Nice work!
Posted By: Curiouser Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/29/13 07:49 PM
definitely not super 'artistic', but i uploaded DS3's latest painting:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=33muedh&s=5#.UsB702RDtig

according to DS: it's a purple flower surrounded by number people - the 3 is a baby number that is flying away, the 6 is made of dots, and the 7 is dancing.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/29/13 10:03 PM
How creative Marnie! I love the # people!!
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 12/30/13 10:44 PM
oh YAY! thanks for posting more!

ultramarina - your DD's birds are so, so lovely. and that's so neat about her synthesis of images into her own representations, too! i showed these to DD5 and she was amazed by them - i bet they inspire her to try some birds. she said they looked exactly like what she imagined Prue McKeel's bird sketches (Prue is a character from Wildwood, by Colin Meloy) would look like.

Mana - oh, get ready, because DD was exactly like that when she was 3! every drawing had all these weird little details, funny stuff like plaid shirts or little circles to represent knee caps and elbows on what were otherwise just stick figures. she's still obsessed with anatomy - working with a med school test prep app is a perennial favourite activity of hers*, as well as poring over an artist's human anatomy textbook. in time, you may find yourself the proud owner of the weirdest resources! smile

Marnie - number people are awesome! and i bet there's a great story lurking in that...

*item #518 in Things I Could Only EVER Mention Here!
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 02:23 PM
hello, friends!

now that i'm around again, i wonder if anyone would be interested in reviving this thread? i love, love, love seeing all the kiddos' works of art...
Posted By: ajinlove Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 02:40 PM
Didn't know there was a thread like this. Thanks doubtfulguest for reviving the thread. I'd like to share a few drawings that my DS7 draw early last year (when he was 6). He drew these on his iPad using his fingers.

http://i65.tinypic.com/67qghu.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/29bjer.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/1071kys.jpg
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 03:07 PM
those are beautiful, ajinlove! for some reason the third link didn't work, but holy... i love the colour-choices and the way the shapes interact with each other. they're so dense and rich-looking!

i'm so excited there's some interest in this ancient thread! i should have been more prepared - i don't have scans of DD8's new work yet, but this one is from last year when she was 7...

https://i.imgsafe.org/4cab97c.jpg

Posted By: madeinuk Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 03:28 PM
Wow! That is nothing short of fantastic.

The parsimony of the lines shows great maturity.

There is a dynamism there too expressed so well by the spread of those long graceful limbs and pointed feet.

I just love that skirt too.
Posted By: ajinlove Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 03:41 PM
Thank you! DS7 loves drawing. He loves to use colors. The fall trees is my favorite smile
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by madeinuk
I just love that skirt too.

those brush markers are the GREATEST. this was DD's first experiment with them - she loves dance, but i'm pretty sure it was the marker itself than inspired the image!
Posted By: doubtfulguest Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 03:44 PM
Originally Posted by ajinlove
Thank you! DS7 loves drawing. He loves to use colors. The fall trees is my favorite smile

me too! it really draws you in and makes you want to drink it all in. fantastic stuff.
Posted By: ajinlove Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/23/16 04:00 PM
Wasn't able to see it on my computer for some reason but now I saw it on my iPad. That is fantastic! What a beautiful drawing. Love the skirt too smile
Posted By: aquinas Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/26/16 02:57 PM
those are beautiful, ajinlove! for some reason the third link didn't work, but holy... i love the colour-choices and the way the shapes interact with each other. they're so dense and rich-looking!

i'm so excited there's some interest in this ancient thread! i should have been more prepared - i don't have scans of DD8's new work yet, but this one is from last year when she was 7...

https://i.imgsafe.org/4cab97c.jpg

The ability to distill an image down to its core elements and still preserve depth belies an artistic mind, DG. Lovely share! When is she set to be on your payroll? wink
Posted By: ultramarina Re: The Ultimate Art Thread - 03/28/16 12:37 PM
Lovely ballerina!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum