Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: acs Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 07:39 PM
I need the input of smart minds wink

What would cause a mouse to suddenly die in the middle of my hard wood floor? DH had walked across the dining room spoke to me for a minute and turned around and there was a dead mouse just lying there right where DH had stood seconds before. No signs of trauma. We knew we had mice, but hadn't set out any poison. I am used to sharing a home with mice, but I am not used to them croaking in the middle of my floor for no reason.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 07:46 PM
Poison from a neighbor?

Do you have a cat? Cats can grab them by the neck and asphyxiate them or break their neck.

Old age?
Posted By: acs Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 07:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas.

No cat. We do have guinea pigs; maybe the mouse saw one of them and had a heart attack!

It looked young. I would think that an old mouse would curl up in the wall boards somewhere to die not, as this one appears to have done, in mid-stride!

Poison is the only reasonable thought we have come up with. I haven't checked with the neighbors.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 11:18 PM
Maybe your DH stepped on it? I guess it would look smooshed then...

Leftover poison from previous residents?
Posted By: acs Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by Cathy A
Maybe your DH stepped on it? I guess it would look smooshed then...

LOL! DH is 200 lbs., the mouse about an ounce. Mouse looked plump and round. I think we can rule out the stepped-on theory!

Poison (whether from neighbors or previous residents) seems to be the main theory.

Since their nest is well behind some wall board in the kitchen, I am really hoping they weren't all poisoned. Rotting mouse is not my favorite aroma therapy scent and I don't want to take apart the kitchen looking for them. If they are all thoughtful enough to come into the middle of the room to die, I will be grateful!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/14/08 11:57 PM
Yeah, that is really odd; but think of the learning opportunity a full blown autopsy would present!! wink wink
Do you think it could have been on the ceiling/fixture of some sort and fallen ?

Posted By: acs Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by chris1234
Yeah, that is really odd; but think of the learning opportunity a full blown autopsy would present!! wink wink
Do you think it could have been on the ceiling/fixture of some sort and fallen ?

Stupid me! I already took the little corpse out to the dumpster so I missed out on the autopsy opportunity.

Light fixture was about 6 feet away. It would have had to be quite a flying leap (perhaps he was watching too much olympic diving!)
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by chris1234

Oooo! Very clever! Columbo-esque smile
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by acs
DH is 200 lbs., the mouse about an ounce. Mouse looked plump and round. I think we can rule out the stepped-on theory!

I guess that rules out my next idea...he sat on it and it fell off his pants as he was standing in the dining room talking to you.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 01:00 AM
There wasn't a little mouse-sized gun nearby, was there? Maybe the day-to-day stresses of being a modern-day mouse got to him and he commited suicide.

Or a sword? Maybe it was "hair"i-kari! grin

Enough dark humor and awful puns...I'd bet on poison, I'm afraid. That's usually what causes them to drop dead after a while.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 01:10 AM
Bumping the spam!
Posted By: LilMick Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/15/08 04:42 AM
I work with mice in my lab, and their physiology is similar to human physiology, so any of the usual culprits for sudden death in people might be to blame, as well as the poison theory. I do like the autopsy idea. It could make a good extracurricular activity...
Posted By: elh0706 Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 06:10 PM
LOL... It might be a sad commentary on my sense of humour but after being away for a few weeks, this was a fun thread to come back to!
Thanks and I hope any other dying mice as as considerate.
Posted By: acs Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 06:48 PM
Glad your enjoyed the thread!

Here is the update.

We have subsequently live-trapped 2 very spunky mice who are living happily next to our compost pile and have made no attempts to return to the house.

Our prevailing theory is that the mouse has a seizure, perhaps precipitated by the smell of DH's feet!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 07:08 PM
Ah! So it was a biological weapon that killed Mousikins!

grin
Posted By: acs Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 07:21 PM
Are you suggesting a WMD (weapon of mouse destruction)?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 09:02 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

What a wonderfully awful pun!!! You warm the cockles of my cold heart, acs!
Posted By: OHGrandma Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 09:10 PM
Acs, better pray that the EPA doesn't get wind of this, or they'll make you file an environmental impact statement on your husbands feet!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/18/08 11:18 PM
I guess acs's DH would have to foot the bill for all those permits, huh?

<smirk>
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/19/08 02:13 AM
Ha Ha Ha
Posted By: Austin Re: Totally OT mouse - 08/19/08 03:32 AM
Does anyone hear Strauss playing when they read this? Anyone?

grin

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum