Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bk1 considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/14/08 04:12 AM
Not so seriously yet, but perhaps in the next year or so.

How are the elementary schools there? I see there is a once-a-week full-day GT pullout. Is that helpful?

What about the private schools?

Also, how about the intellectual ambiance for us parents? I know that there are some universities there, but looking at the newspapers, it looks like a town focused on sports!

bk
Posted By: Grinity Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/14/08 10:55 AM
Hi bk,
I only lived in Pittsburgh for a year, many years ago. I do remember a great farmer's Market, warm-hearted people, and lots of cultural/music festivals at the public parks.

Are you considering city life or suburbs?
Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: cym Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/14/08 08:06 PM
Isn't that where Carnegie Melon is? They have a big program for gifted (C-Mites: http://www.cmu.edu/cmites/ests.html) that has weekend and summer programs.
Posted By: Kriston Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 01:12 AM
Bumping away the spam!
Posted By: bk1 Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 01:15 AM
Bump!
We're thinking city life.
Posted By: Grinity Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 02:31 AM
I'm glad to hear that you are thinking city! Such lovely neighborhoods!
Posted By: bk1 Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 02:53 AM
Thanks for the info! It's really at the wishful thinking stage at this point. And I don't want to jump from one poor school accommodation to another.

bk
Posted By: LilMick Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 03:41 AM
Some of the colleges in the area are quite good, and they sponsor programs for kids.
Posted By: jayne Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/15/08 08:25 PM
Fox Chapel is a really good high school to move into

http://www.fcasd.edu/j_hs/

and a good private school is Shady Side Academy.

http://www.shadysideacademy.org/

It is easy to supplement when they are in elem or jr high, but you don't want to mess around with the excellent programs some of the high schools and colleges offer in the area there.
Posted By: bk1 Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/16/08 12:22 AM
Thanks for the school tips!
Posted By: bk1 Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/16/08 03:17 PM
Can you live in the City of Pittsburgh and attend the Fox Chapel area schools?
Posted By: jayne Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 08/16/08 03:47 PM
Technically, Fox Chapel is in the City of Pittsburgh (according to their official address). It is in the NE corner of Pittsburgh. However, like many schools, you must live in the school's specified boundary to attend.

I know that housing is suffering mightily there, so if you are in the market of renting/buying, you can probably get a pretty good deal. Also, since it's a preferred area, it would be easier to sell since everyone wants their kids to go to high school there.
Posted By: ziggy Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 03/17/09 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by jayne
and a good private school is Shady Side Academy.

Chiming in super late here, but in case anyone is ever considering SSA we visited and they do not recognize GIEP's.
Posted By: kickball Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 03/17/09 09:08 PM
I love the hills, the colors of fall, the railcars, OH the CHILDREN's musuem is AWESOME, the science center is big fun, fun sports and science complex....

And yes sports are "big" there but they are in any town/city large enough to host professional teams.... and frankly, this is America - often more home of the Braves than the brave - so I suspect any place outside of small town w/big college is going to have some pockets of sport nuts.

Four seasons.... not awful cost of living.... but I know nothing of the schools. I also hail from outside of philly - so I miss the hills and trees of PA... so know this is bias :-)
Posted By: shellymos Re: considering a move to Pittsburgh! - 03/17/09 09:37 PM
I really like Pittsburgh! My husband grew up outside of there and when we go home to visit sometimes we make a stop up there. I used to want to live there, but it is a little too close to the in-laws. We are going to try out the children's museum when we visit this summer...or the science one. Not sure yet which one.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum