Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Ametrine Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 03:32 PM
For my son (6), I'd like to put together a library of television series and movies that portray gifted children in a positive light. Fiction and non-fiction if I can find that range.

Could you recommend titles?

I don't recall much about the series, but Doogie Howser comes to mind. It was running when I was a late teen and I honestly didn't watch it much, so don't know if it qualifies. I'm hoping to avoid excessive distortion/stereotyping if possible!

Posted By: MidwestMom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 03:50 PM
As a kid, I loved the movie Space Camp. It was so reassuring to see an obviously gifted character with a perfect 1600 on the SAT who was also a normal teenage girl. The movie is probably better suited to a tween girl than a six-year-old boy though.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 03:55 PM
I'm really not concerned with the sex of the child or the age, so that's one for the list. smile

Of course, any R-rated movies will have to wait for emotional maturity to catch up, but I'd still like to compile the full gamut of choices from child-level through adult now.

Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 03:57 PM
The Courtship of Eddie's Father? The opening conversation seems appropriate for what I mean.

YouTube of Opening Theme
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:11 PM
Here are some ideas...

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/movies.htm
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:11 PM
Beauty and the Beast
Billy Elliot
Dead Poets Society
Empire of the Sun
Finding Forrester
Good Will Hunting
Matilda
How to Train your Dragon
A Little Princess

Tons of others. I actually think almost every good story/film features a character who is gifted.

Posted By: KADmom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:26 PM
"The Mysterious Benedict Society" series

Lisa McMann's "The Unwanteds" series
Posted By: Dude Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:39 PM
Our selections run a little heavy on the female side, for obvious reasons, but we like these movies (and have seen them endlessly):

- Matilda
- Harry Potter (Hermione has been an outstanding role model for our DD, especially as she starts out a little insufferable in the beginning)
Posted By: LNEsMom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:50 PM
Ender's Game is coming out in November!

And my son was probably around 6 when I showed him Space Camp and he loved it. Kids going to space by themselves. A little boy's dream. smile
Posted By: LNEsMom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 04:52 PM
And I agree with the Harry Potter suggestion. Especially the one where Hermione actually secretly time travels so she can take more classes. smile

Posted By: HappilyMom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 05:26 PM
Great thread! Thanks for starting it.
Posted By: Sweetie Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 07:15 PM
Jodie Foster ....Little Man Tate...but watch it because I forget the actual plot.

I think Pay it Forward...the little guy in it isn't doing so well in school but he certainly is creative.
Posted By: KJP Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 07:41 PM
There is a gifted girl in ParaNorman. Very stereotypical but kinda cool when the other kids turn to her for help.

The underlying theme might be interesting for a gifted kid too.
Posted By: CCN Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by Sweetie
Jodie Foster ....Little Man Tate...but watch it because I forget the actual plot.

Oooh - what about her other movie, Contact? Love that film smile I'm pretty sure it's all kid friendly, but maybe screen it first.

My all time favourite, although it wouldn't make your list because it's just so, so sad, is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." What a fantastic portrayal Thomas Horn did of a 9 year old gifted boy with Asperger's (albeit a tormented one... trying to hold on to his father's memory).

Yeah... (sigh). Don't put that on your list for a 6 year old... it's too sad. If you haven't seen it yet, though, it's a must-see.
Posted By: kelly0523 Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 08:55 PM
A Wrinkle in Time, there is a current version that is only a couple of years old that my daughter loves to watch.
Posted By: Hils Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 08:57 PM
Searching for Bobby Fisher

As a chess aficionado, one of my faves. Lovely portrayal of a young chess prodigy and the adult pressures and issues he faces as he develops his talent.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by CCN
My all time favourite, although it wouldn't make your list because it's just so, so sad, is "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close." What a fantastic portrayal Thomas Horn did of a 9 year old gifted boy with Asperger's (albeit a tormented one... trying to hold on to his father's memory).

Yeah... (sigh). Don't put that on your list for a 6 year old... it's too sad. If you haven't seen it yet, though, it's a must-see.

I just saw that recently (without DS in the room) and felt the same way you did about it. It made me cry. Perhaps it's one for DS later.
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by kcab
A link to the past...
a relevant earlier movie thread

There may have been other threads in the intervening years... this is the one I recall.

Thanks for this!
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/03/13 10:47 PM
Originally Posted by HappilyMom
Great thread! Thanks for starting it.

grin
Posted By: KnittingMama Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 01:42 AM
We just watched "Whisper of the Heart" (from Studio Ghibli) and it seems very relevant to raising a gifted child. The two main characters are both gifted, although in different ways, and both have different approaches to their giftedness.

While I think my kids didn't see the movie as deeply as I did, they still enjoyed it.

And while I'm here, I also highly recommend "Kiki's Delivery Service" (another Studio Ghibli movie). The main character is a young witch who is trying to find her place in the world.
Posted By: deacongirl Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:03 AM
I so agree about Extremely Loud etc. It was so incredibly moving, and I thought the actor was amazing. I even came here to post about it at the time! I still don't think dd12 is ready for it though--I think she would be a wreck. I did not enjoy the book as much as the movie.
Posted By: bronalex Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:32 AM
I loved Space Camp! I remember renting that on VHS from the video store when I was a kid LOL
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 03:23 AM
DS had/sometimes still does have issues with sound. Unlike the boy in the movie, he would cover his ears at seemingly insignificant sounds as if they were "extremely loud".

As a baby, he'd cry for no apparent reason. Nothing would comfort him and even colic "remedies" were useless.

Later, when he was older, I asked him about that and if he remembered crying so much. He said he did. He said he didn't like all the talking around him!

I don't know if it was because he had highly sensitive hearing or if it was because he knew others were communicating without his understanding-he didn't elaborate-and I'm honestly not entirely sure he understood the fantastic thing he just said.

All I do know is I didn't know he was gifted when he was an infant and so had no idea he could even conceive what talking was.
I also loved Space Camp and recently got it from the library to watch with DS4.5. He enjoyed the concept, but a big part of it is the romance stuff between some of the characters. Those parts were pretty boring and uninteresting to the kiddo.

DS does love Matilda and Paranormal. He also likes Dr. Who and I've recently shown him a few Buffy the Vampire Slayers (he likes scary things.).
Posted By: DAD22 Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 01:21 PM
The movie Real Genius had a big impact on me as a kid. I thought Val Kilmer's character was awesome for being smart, funny, and wild.

In a somewhat similar theme, Grease 2 portrays a geeky academic who transforms himself into a biker, eventually winning over his crush and gaining acceptance of the T-Birds (motorcycle gang).
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:11 PM
I also LOVED Real Genius. Those-- THOSE were 'my' people. LOL.

Star Trek, TNG is very appealing.

MacGyver. I love MacGyver, even if the science involved is totally bogus in some instances... part of the fun is discussing what totally would NOT work that way. He's like an American version of Doctor Who. Only not a 900 year old alien, and the bad guys aren't aliens, either.

Doctor Who

The Princess Bride
Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by Hils
Searching for Bobby Fisher

As a chess aficionado, one of my faves. Lovely portrayal of a young chess prodigy and the adult pressures and issues he faces as he develops his talent.

I think that any parent of a HG/+ child must see this film.

This movie has more to do with my parenting of my daughter than most parenting books have. whistle
Posted By: Dude Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:29 PM
This one may sound weird, but it does show gifted adults (both sexes) in a favorable way, and my DD8 requested to watch this movie a second time in less than a week:

National Treasure
Posted By: 1frugalmom Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 02:50 PM
Haven't watched this one yet, but we have it in our Netflix queue and it sounds really good - Jesus Henry Christ (PG-13).

Here is a trailer -

Posted By: HowlerKarma Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 03:04 PM
Night at the Museum!

(National Treasure reminded me of this film-- DD and I love all of them!)

Indiana Jones.
Posted By: QT3.1414 Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 03:47 PM
"Searching for Bobby Fisher" and "Good Will Hunting" are fantastic movies!
Posted By: QT3.1414 Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 03:48 PM
If you want something really hilarious and romantic, I recommend I.Q. with Meg Ryan.

Posted By: oncegifted Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/04/13 05:25 PM
Bee Season
Posted By: Ametrine Re: Gifted Portrayed in TV and Movies - 06/07/13 12:31 AM
Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story

Full Movie on YT
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum