Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: arlen1 Why You Truly Never Leave High School - 01/30/13 09:39 PM
An interesting article "Why You Truly Never Leave High School" http://nymag.com/news/features/high-school-2013-1 .
What a horrifying article.

Well. I mean, the article itself was lovely (and LOVE that they included inputs from Brene Brown). The conclusions were distressing, though.

Posted By: staceychev Re: Why You Truly Never Leave High School - 01/31/13 04:55 PM
The high school I teach in is experiencing an epidemic of adolescent girl anxiety--these girls are completely unable to come to school because of debilitating anxiety. The part about fear made me, sadly, think of them.

I want to see more of the pictures. They're amazing.
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Why You Truly Never Leave High School - 01/31/13 05:09 PM
Yes, I posted that article in another thread earlier this week. I agree with HK - distressing.
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Why You Truly Never Leave High School - 01/31/13 05:13 PM
From the article:

"In adolescence, the brain is also buzzing with more dopamine activity than at any other time in the human life cycle, so everything an adolescent does—everything an adolescent feels—is just a little bit more intense. “And you never get back to that intensity,” says Casey."

I agree with this.

I feel much less alive now than when I was an adolescent.

And you really do never get that feeling of "aliveness" back, for lack of a better word.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum