Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Isa What would happen if we would not have thumbs? - 07/08/08 07:11 AM
I just asked this question to DD.

Her answer:

We could not count to 10.

Thumbs are pretty darned useful.

DS6 asked yesterday why we have toenails. I explained it's likely a remnant of evolution and eventually people might be born without toenails, since they really have no use.
DD8: "It would be hard to turn on the t.v.(remote)."

DD6: "We would all die" Me: "What?, Why?"
"Because we wouldn't have any thumbs."

Uhhh....okay.

smile
You gotta love the way they think!!

Extra fingers.....LOL!!

it's actually not a bad idea! wink
tee hee!
I asked DS4 what if we didn't have thumbs.
He said "We wouldn't be able to click very easily." (the mouse, that is)
I asked DS5 who is sitting at the table coloring a string of paper dolls. He says that if we didn't have thumbs we wouldn't be able to pick up very many things. Then he experimented and found he could pick up his marker with just his fingers but it was difficult to color carefully.

DD9 says you couldn't use scissors very well.
DS7: "We'd have to go like this" [lifting yogurt cup with both hands and no thumbs] "instead of like this." [lifting yogurt with one hand] "And brushing teeth would be hard."

DS4: "We'd have to do this" [pushing with fists together] "to squeeze stuff out."
"It's an important part of the evolution of our DNA, Mom." , says DS8 as he is building legos.

And I wonder why he is picked on so badly at school some times??? (sigh)
DS7 is out running around the neighborhood today, but DD4 said "we couldn't make banana bread!"

For the record, we're baking banana bread right now that involved some rubber scraper work.
Heck, our ancient ancestors wouldn't have been able to pick bananas! wink
ds5. "I will answer that in a minute... What happens if our thumbs are like our big toes and not opposite(sic).. We couldn't count to more than eigteen, do this(picks up various books with two finger, we are in a public library). Mummy I am going to write a list of things like that.."

That will keep him going for a bit..
LOL!

I knew a girl who lost her right thumb skiing. They took her index toe from the opposite foot and grafted it on.
Worked pretty good.

When I first saw her hand, all I could do was stare at her index toe!!

DD8. "You are being silly mom. You must be talking to your e-friends again..."
ROFLOL!!!!! You have a very perceptive child!

grin
Love it!
I think this was the best answer LOL !!!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum