Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Mom2MrQ I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:31 PM
I'm going to completely humiliate myself here, but so be it. I cannot pull a word out of my memory right now and need your help.

When someone throws out statements without having facts to back them up, what do we call that? LOL I know it's used on this board a lot, so that's why I'm asking you guys. I keep wanting to say colloquial, which I know is not what I need. Please help this old lady with the aging brain. wink
Posted By: epoh Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:36 PM
Assertion?
Allegations?
Posted By: Val Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:43 PM
Conjecture?
Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:43 PM
Good try, but we need to move in another direction. I know you guys use it on here when someone throws out a statement without supporting documents or evidence. For some reason the word "colloquial" is coming to mind and when I do that it usually means that it sounds similar or has the same number of syllables... or perhaps it just has an 'a' in it. LOL

I cannot for the life of me pull this word out of my memory. Come on, come on... wordy people to the rescue, please!
Posted By: Val Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:51 PM
Supposition?

Assumption?

Speculation?

Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:53 PM
How about this.... when someone uses personal experience(s) or others' experiences and they they tout this as fact. That's when you would say, "That's ____. Can you support that statement?" Or, they would say, "My statement is purely _________, but I believe this to be true."

Does that help? I cannot believe what a fog I have. I can't even form a decent sentence to describe what I'm looking for here.
Anecdotes
Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:56 PM
We have a winner! Anecdotal. Bless you! Now I can rest.

(Colloquial... they both have four syllables! LOL)
Posted By: Dbat Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 08:56 PM
What about 'conclusory statement' (i.e., a statement that makes the conclusion it was allegedly trying to prove logically) or 'circular reasoning'?
Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ

And they both have a hard 'c', and end in -al. I know how these kinds of issues work. :-)
Posted By: Nik Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 10:04 PM
circumstantial?
Posted By: JonLaw Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/24/12 10:11 PM
When someone throws out statements without having facts to back them up, what do we call that?

A lawsuit?
Conjecture/conjectural?
"You're assuming..."
They say it here like
"Correlation does not imply causation"
A lot.

It gets mixed up along with anecdotal as well.

I don't want to blame old age. I stole a phrase I read online, "my kids ate my brain". My son thinks it happened when they were in my belly.
Posted By: Pranava Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/26/12 03:29 AM
an unsubstaniated claim
We have a winner! Anecdotal. Bless you! Now I can rest.

Ah, rats. I was going for "horse hockey".
Posted By: Evemomma Re: I'm having a "moment"... please help... - 07/30/12 06:14 PM
My vocab-recall is identical! I can hear the cadence of a word and usually get a near-sounding word /phrase. My family thinks I'm crazy when I try to explain it. I STILL get made fun of for a highly-competetive game of Taboo circa 1995. In the rush to get my sister to say "race horse", I shouted out, "Never shoot a ______ _______ in the mouth!"

...I meant, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth." No one believed me that shoot and look are similar because of the double O's. Instead they held tight that I had indeed cheated in school.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum