Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Madoosa Live Online Chemistry class K-12 *free!* - 07/23/12 07:42 PM
http://www.superchargedscience.com/

You can get a full science curriculum there or just do the free classes.

The woman who runs it is an ex-NASA rocket scientist and University lecturer.
Her site looks very good. smile

One caution (up front) is that her background is in engineering-- specifically, in mechanical engineering.

This probably makes her a fantastic physics teacher, but may limit her ability to offer a 'biologist' or 'chemist' outlook on those disciplines. (It's possible that her other staffers are experts in those disciplines-- I didn't look into it that far.)

I mention that only because of my experience with the difference in how engineers look at things versus that scientist perspective. It is a subtly different perspective, and one that leads to a great many frustrating attempts to communicate effectively across that divide.

Mostly, I'm just really thrilled that someone finally seems to have put together REAL exploration-based homeschool science curriculum for K-12. There has been a huge void there, particularly in grades 3-8.
Posted By: Madoosa Re: Live Online Chemistry class K-12 *free!* - 07/23/12 09:36 PM
HK - I honestly didn't think of (know of?) that potential limitation - thank you for that heads up! I am just so greatful to have found an additional resource for my kids.. although the classes would be 9pm our time. haha. What fun for the grumpy boys the next day! lol
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum