Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: frannieandejsmom accelerated math (everyday math) - 06/07/12 12:00 AM
DD8 going into third grade is being placed into accelerated math. They compact 3-4-5 into grades 3 & 4. I am thrilled for her but sad that my son, 6 going into first grade, with identical MAP scores will have to sit through first grade everyday math.

Its a start I guess..
Posted By: jack'smom Re: accelerated math (everyday math) - 06/07/12 12:39 AM
Everyday Math is so lame! I don't think it's a good program. But that is great that your daughter will get to accelerate.
Yes, EM is pretty convoluted but I'm a believer that other factors trump curriculum in importance (e.g. teacher, learning environment, level of material).
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: accelerated math (everyday math) - 06/11/12 03:05 PM
My dd just finished 1st grade and was in 2nd grade EM all year. Her school claims that the 1st and 2nd grade curriculums are so close that bright students can skip 1st without issue.
Having said that, I am hating EM. I spend so much time going over things with dd. We're doing Singapore Math this summer just to make sure she understands good, old-fashioned math.

Think you can get your ds accelerated into 2nd grade math? Might be worth a shot.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: accelerated math (everyday math) - 06/11/12 03:48 PM
Hey, daytripper. I'm with you on disliking Everyday Math. If you're going to get Singapore Math, be sure to get the real thing instead of the out-of-program practice workbooks sold with "Singapore Math" titles, like this one.

Here are samples of some actual materials from the Singapore Math curriculum:

Home Instructor's Guide
textbook
workbook
Challenging Word Problems

(Forgive me if this is old news.)
We have tried and tried to get him accelerated. The district doesn't believe in acceleration. They think there will be gaps. The kid has flown through Singapore 2a, 2b and 3a this year.
Iucounu, we actually bought the Singapore books from that website. I did compare with the books at Barnes and Noble and didn't really see much differences though.
Posted By: Iucounu Re: accelerated math (everyday math) - 06/12/12 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
Iucounu, we actually bought the Singapore books from that website. I did compare with the books at Barnes and Noble and didn't really see much differences though.
How is that possible? One's a practice workbook only, the other is a full-fledged system. The only way they could seem not much different is if you never even cracked open the teacher's guide, challenging word problems, textbook, etc.
we have used the text book and workbook. I didn't have the one from barnes and noble side by side with the one I purchased. It was just a quick glance.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum