Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Val Did anyone see the transit of Venus? - 06/06/12 03:13 AM
We watched it here! We set up our telescope in our front yard and over 30 people came by to have a look. It was great. We also had some solar viewing glasses (cheap on the internet) that we were handing out. It was great! DD7 and DS12 were pretty excited about it.
Posted By: kd976 Re: Did anyone see the transit of Venus? - 06/06/12 03:26 AM
I did!!! I was the geek with my husband's welding mask on at my daughter's golf class smile

I totally LOVE science (especially astronomy) stuff!
Posted By: La Texican Re: Did anyone see the transit of Venus? - 06/06/12 04:40 AM
I didn't see the Venus Transit. It has been all over the news. There'll be a re-run in 2116. It's great y'all were able to see it.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: Did anyone see the transit of Venus? - 06/06/12 01:27 PM
We did. We went to a local university and listened to a professor talk about the transits in the 1760s and the astronomers who traveled to remote locations in an attempt to view the entire thing and use their measurements to determine the distance from the earth to the sun. We also got to see it pretty clearly through a telescope with a solar filter.
My family did. DH made a viewing scope and set it out in the front yard. Many neighbors came to see!
Such fun!
I, on the other hand, had to work. Boo!
Posted By: Michaela Re: Did anyone see the transit of Venus? - 06/06/12 03:25 PM
We went to the science ctr here, which had bonus water rockets radio feed from NASA, and lectures. We only got about an hour before it clouded over, but we got a pretty god look. So cool.
I love having kids.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum