Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: bianc850a Sex ed - 06/09/08 12:48 AM
Hi,

We had a funny spontaneous lesson today.

I got my dd some silkworm cocoons last week. This morning they started to hatch and I woke up my dd because I wanted her to see it.

I should have done some research before. The moths were barely out of their cocoon when they started mating. I mean, their wings were not even dry yet. 12 hours later and they are still at it.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 01:06 AM
Gives new meaning to the phrase "smooth as silk," huh?

<smirk>
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 01:24 AM
Our kids' science teachers have silkworms, too. It is fun to raise them--they are on their third generation so far. We have a mulberry tree on the school campus smile

Kids could get some funny ideas about how humans mate from watching silkworms...

Posted By: acs Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 01:24 AM
Pets (can you call silk worms pets?)can be very educational. I remember when our 6 day old male guinea pig tried to mount his own mother. She returned he affections. Right there in our living room.

"What are they doing, mommy?"
Posted By: KAR120C Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 02:06 AM
We had that talk at the zoo... it was ostriches. Hard to miss! LOL It was right after we had been to a farm with chickens, and a conversation about eggs, so the whole thing started with "You know what I was saying about the kind of eggs that we eat and the kind of eggs that have baby chicks inside? Well that's what makes the difference...." LOL
Posted By: bianc850a Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 02:32 AM
We also talked about the difference between animals mating and humans. We have been talking about the fact that just because you can physically have sex it doesn't mean you are emotionally ready.

This was a good opening for discussing pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases as well as emotional hurt if you have sex before it is time (when she is 40 and married LOL).
Posted By: Grinity Re: Sex ed - 06/09/08 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by bianc850a
We also talked about the difference between animals mating and humans. We have been talking about the fact that just because you can physically have sex it doesn't mean you are emotionally ready.

Nice!
Posted By: Isa Re: Sex ed - 06/12/08 06:48 PM
I do not want to think the 10000 millions questions DD would ask laugh

Now at least I have a warning about silkworms ....
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum