Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed oh this is too funny! - 06/06/08 05:55 PM
I read one of DS7's writing projects from school, 2nd grade. He wrote "The place in the world is Papa's and Grandma's house. They have history books. You can read about George Washington and famous battles....."

I just thought this was too funny. He recently asked to start studying history again with me. We were doing Ancients and starting a timeline. I guess I'd better get resources together!

dazey
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: oh this is too funny! - 06/06/08 06:08 PM
Sounds like a great place in the world! Those "old" people sure know a lot about the past. wink I'm impressed that a 7-year-old cares about history. Twenty years after hating french civ in college, i just saw a documentary about louis xiv, and finally thought, wow, this is interesting!

What I would have written about my grandma at 7: "grandma ran out of cookies, so she gave us something near the cookie jar called liv-a-snaps. we thought they were almost as good as cookies."

Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: oh this is too funny! - 06/06/08 06:22 PM
laugh on the liv-a-snaps. Were they similar to Ginger snaps?

DS loves history. He's a WWII fanatic. He and his little brother (5yrs old) can tell you every British, AMerican, German, and now they are acquiring knowledge of Japanese planes and weapons. We've gone to several re-enactments for the Civil War and French-American war and the boys were in heaven. He's also fascinated by Alexander the Great thanks to a NOVA show on him.

School and homework and new baby really ate into our time to explore things of interest to him.

Sadly, I think this is the stimulation that he misses and is craving at school.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: oh this is too funny! - 06/06/08 06:30 PM
Well, they were crunchy like ginger snaps. And luckily i didn't learn until much later that the "liv" was short for "liver." (Grandma called them live rhymes with hive a snaps.) We didn't care that they were doggie treats though. smile

That's cool that your boys have a shared interest, and there are fun things like reenactments to take them too.

I'm thinking that all kids miss things at school (although HG kids more so in many ways), and that's what summers (and cable history shows) are for!

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum