Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: BCS Question about math - 08/31/11 04:39 PM
New to this forum.DS8 is in a self contained gifted grade 3 class. This year he'll be skipping 3rd grade in math and is to be pulled out to go to 4th grade gifted class for math only. The curriculum taught there is actually 5th grade math ( book is math connect 5 ). He allready is very comfortable with most math concepts to be taught there. Are there any other resources/books available at this stage for him to do at home. Thanks.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Question about math - 08/31/11 11:24 PM
Do you mean to extend him further?

You might find something here:
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/mathematics.htm
Posted By: BCS Re: Question about math - 09/01/11 05:16 AM
Thank you for the link. We don't plan to extend him any further for now.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Question about math - 09/01/11 11:42 AM
Hi BCS
Are you worried about 'gaps?'
Can you get a copy of the 5th grade Math book and look at it to see if there is much for him to learn?

I've had both experiences - times when I've 'overprepped' and times when I've 'underprepped' - it's difficult with unusual kids.

My favorite Math of the moment is
http://www.khanacademy.org/exercisedashboard?k

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: Jtjt Re: Question about math - 09/01/11 11:45 AM
I second the above post. My boys use that and love it!
Posted By: BCS Re: Question about math - 09/01/11 09:32 PM
Thanks for the khanacademy link. I have checked the math book for 5th grade,some concepts may be new to him but overall he knows most of the stuff.
Posted By: ColinsMum Re: Question about math - 09/01/11 09:41 PM
What are you actually looking for, BCS? If you want hard problems that can be solved using material he already knows, I can give links - the single most useful thing I know is Alcumus. However, it's not clear from your post whether listing things would be useful, or whether you're looking for advice on something else...
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum