Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cecilia YAYYYY!!! Subject acceleration approved!!! - 07/07/11 07:27 PM
Hello all! Well, it finally happened...I just got off the phone with the principal. He approved subject acceleration for DS in science and literature. I'm just SO happy!!! Funny, you are the first ones I wanted to tell smile For those of you wondering if taking the EXPLORE for advocacy is worth it, I say yes, yes, yes (well, at least in my case) For the past few years, the school has been well aware of his SB5 and WISC scores. After frustration, I took him out this year to partial homeschool...I think that when I submitted his EXPLORE scores (last week) the principal just couldn't deny his need anymore. Anyways, just wanted to share!!! YAYYYYY!!!
Congratulations, that's great news smile I can sense your happiness through the screen smile
congrats! That is great news.
Wonderful news. I find that Explore and ACT and SAT 'speak the language' of educators much louder than WISC and WJ-Achievement. It makes sense to try and speak their language. So glad they saw the light!

Grinity
smile Great news!
Fantastic!
That's awesome! Yay!!!
yay congrats smile I am sure it will make the year at least more interesting for him
WOW... I am so happy for you!

I am trying to get DS7 to skip grade 3 math and have only been met with NO, NO, NO, NO!!

Talking with another school's principal... but we don't want him out of the bilingual program.

I keep hearing it is all about SCHEDULING!!!
laura.. that is one of the reasons we did not opt for the immersion program. They would not have been able to accommodate the math acceleration.
I know!!! It is so frustrating.

I rationalize that I can keep him accelerated as he needs through partial HS until grade 6.

At that time, he'll be bilingual and be able to subject specific grade skip.

Don't want to highjack the thread...
Thanks so much everyone! I knew you would understand my joy smile Laura0896, hang in there...You just never know. I'm still in shock that this is actually happeneing. I'll keep crossing my fingers for all of you!!!
Congrats! Science is one I've never seen offered for subject acceleration so I'm particularly impressed that they're offering that one as well. Elementary science, in particular, is often so lacking in what science truly can be that moving faster in that subject is a great thing.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum