Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: cym Need Advice - 04/04/08 10:15 PM
During DS11's IEP at small charter middle school the question of math arose. This year he and 3 other 7th graders have been taking Algebra 1. I assumed the next step is Algebra 2 and know that's a problem because it's currently not offered at the school. They could do online, independent study (teacher can't allot full period to teaching 4 students), or I could drive him to and from the high school (pretty far) to take it. Surprise! At the IEP meeting the staff said they were not planning to do Algebra 2 official course (wait till HS). Instead, they said they're looking into richer, deeper math study/problem solving/math mastery. Sounds interesting. I think the curriculum was called Jacobson mathematics reasoning for mastery (or something like that), recommended at the recent William & Mary College Conference for Gifted. I like deeper study, but it makes me nervous to "take the year off" of the traditional sequence of courses. Plus, I can't find info on it (I just emailed the teacher). I don't like taking the year off. Would you all feel comfortable with this? Or should I be looking into the aforementioned Alg 2 options independently (which probably means after school course work).
Posted By: Kriston Re: Need Advice - 04/04/08 10:23 PM
I'd be looking into both at this point. "Deeper" has potential, but it also has the potential to be a waste of time. I think you want to be prepared.

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right.

BTW, who is teaching this "deeper" course? If they can't spare a teacher for Algebra 2, who's teaching the Jacobson? That seems fishy to me...
Posted By: Ania Re: Need Advice - 04/04/08 11:41 PM
I will post more later, but in our MS Geometry comes after Algebra 1.
Got to go...
Posted By: cym Re: Need Advice - 04/05/08 01:03 AM
Hi Kriston,

The deeper course can possibly apply to students who are ahead, regardless of grade/level. Presumably it will not be 4 students. More likely the top 7th & 8th grade students. It's yet to be seen how it will be implemented, but this year DS had 2 math periods, one with 7th graders and one in Algebra. The 4 7th graders worked together in both. It would not be my choice for him to double up again (i.e. 8th grade math and Explorations) because he misses other cool electives (writing workshop). Maybe I need clarification on this because I'm just thinking it out as I write this (I was caught off guard at the IEP, expecting some plan for Algebra 2).
Posted By: Ann Re: Need Advice - 04/05/08 01:21 AM
Do you think they are talking about Nathan Jacobson's Lectures in Abstract Algebra?

http://www.yale.edu/opa/v28.n16/story18.html
Posted By: Kriston Re: Need Advice - 04/05/08 12:24 PM
Cym, I think you're right that clarification is key for you right now. But it really does sound like you're thinking well on this. Keep us updated. Happy to help however possible! smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum