Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cathy A Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:00 PM

You may have seen this, it's been out for a while. I think it's hysterically funny and all too true. I'm like a female version of the nerd in the video myself. I (nerdily?) took notes on the video and compared myself to the list of nerdy attributes. I have at least 17. I don't own a Segway.

But I was struck by the link between WHITE and NERDY. I remembered the video when racism/classism came up in another thread about white flight from public schools.

I'm interested to hear people's reactions to the video.

Cathy
Posted By: delbows Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:04 PM
My kids think it is hysterical. I do too, but won�t admit to them!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by delbows
My kids think it is hysterical. I do too, but won�t admit to them!

Why not?
Posted By: Kriston Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:14 PM
It's definitely a certain flavor of nerd they're describing. I think I'm a total nerd, but of the English major variety.

I'm the queen of minesweeper. I love Star Trek, and I can arrange the ST captains in order of preference: Janeway, Picard, Kirk, and I never watched DS9. Even so, I don't know Klingon. My cat does not have a home page.

...and my name is NOT on my underwear. ROTFLOL! wink

Some of the "white" part was a goof on the original song it was spoofing, wasn't it? It's been a while, so I can't even remember what the original song was. But I don't find that offensive since he's making fun of himself. Weird Al IS white and nerdy! Mayonnaise to the max!

I do love that it's Donny Osmond dancing with him. I had a total crush on him back in the days of purple socks and "Puppy Love." :p

Posted By: kimck Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Kriston
I do love that it's Donny Osmond dancing with him. I had a total crush on him back in the days of purple socks and "Puppy Love." :p

I had the Osmond stage growing up complete with Donny and Marie Dolls and Donny had the purple socks. Hours of fun! "I'm a little bit country! I'm a little bit rock and roll!"

Ok - that was hilarious. I'm embarrassed to admit how much of that hit home for us! A little eerie. Especially for my DH. Luckily, he's a lot cuter than Weird Al. wink
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Kriston
Some of the "white" part was a goof on the original song it was spoofing, wasn't it? It's been a while, so I can't even remember what the original song was.

Yes, I think you're right.

It was "Riddin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire.

Posted By: kimck Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 11:14 PM
grin ROFL! Oh Dottie - thanks for the memories. I used to have that album!
Posted By: Lori H. Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/18/08 11:23 PM
My son showed it to me about six months ago. He and his friends thought it was funny and they occasionally like to sing parts of it.
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 04:06 AM
OK, I'm going to claim Weird Al now. I was ashamed before, but after this video, I can now proudly say "I'm an ENTP just like Weird Al!"

I can quote MP's holy grail too, but not like some of my nerdy guy friends who seem to be able to quote entire movies.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 04:46 AM
My friend and I (both Americans) got shushed at a viewing of "Holy Grail" when we were exchange students in England. We kept saying the lines--like you DO when you watch the movie!--and the Brits kept shushing us.

Hearing "Oh, *DO* be quiet!" in that prim and proper sounding accent made us laugh even harder. We were definitely ugly Americans that day. But how could we not be!?! It was Monty P!!!!

grin

<very small rocks!>
Posted By: st pauli girl Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 05:05 AM
tee hee! those stuffy brits... smile what's with those europeans and movies anyway? When i was in Paris as a teen, a movie theatre was showing Rocky Horror Picture show. I told my travel-mates who had never seen it that they just had to experience the whole audience-involvement thing. Well, they went and said everyone just watched it like a regular movie. I imagine it would be a pretty crummy movie without toast!

<i'm not dead>
Posted By: Kriston Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 05:17 AM
Ha! Yes, Rocky Horror without toast would be just a really awful Susan Sarandon movie, I suspect! LOL!

BTW, "Santa" put "Holy Grail" in my stocking this year. Merry Christmas to me!

<Let me go back in there and face the peril!>
Posted By: Lorel Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 10:11 PM
My family LOVES Weird Al. White and Nerdy is like our theme song. DH and I actually had Star Trek costumes. We have enough ST Christmas ornaments to cover a good sized tree.

Kriston, I loved Donny Osmond too! Of course that was after I forgot about David Cassidy...

Has anyone seen the Camelot song from Holy Grail done in lego? It is hysterical! It's a bonus feature on the newer dvds.

Posted By: Kriston Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 11:14 PM
Oh, I was a Parker Stevenson fan. My sister had Shaun. It worked well for us until they took the Hardy Boys off the air.

<sob>
Posted By: EandCmom Re: Music Video by Weird Al - 03/19/08 11:37 PM
Shaun all the way!!!! My DS is totally into reading Hardy Boys now and I found all the old TV shows on DVD on Amazon. I'm thinking about buying them. For my DS of course!! smile

Love Weird Al too! He's hysterical!!!!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum