Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: master of none " - 01/14/11 03:08 PM

g
Posted By: Kate Re: Another "what to say to curious parents" - 01/14/11 03:31 PM
Awesome answer! I'm saving that one for my own future use, thanks smile Nan
Posted By: Grinity Re: Another "what to say to curious parents" - 01/14/11 03:50 PM
GO MON - great answer. short. sweet. truthful.
No wonder the mom was hypersensitive, with her daughter a year older. Nice when you tell the 'talker' and she does the rest of your PR for you for no charge.

Smiles,
Grinity
We switched to a better fit school in Sept. At first I felt very uncomfortable talking to parents about this from our prior school. I felt like I didn't want to seem like we were to good for that school. Now it's much better. I feel good just saying it's going great and save the details for those who I am comfortable with. Hang in there it will get better for you.
Posted By: bh14 Re: Another "what to say to curious parents" - 01/14/11 05:14 PM
This too, shall pass! We are now finishing the second quarter of the year (so school is half over) with our new grade after a skip and the questions have almost completely subsided. We still get the "how does your child like X grade?" but no more of why. Some students still have no clue DC skipped and then they find out accidentally and say... WAIT?! WHAT? She blends in so nicely, they are dumbfounded she isn't the same age!

Posted By: JJsMom Re: Another "what to say to curious parents" - 01/14/11 08:07 PM
I blamed DS7's grade skip on his K teacher. When people ask, I say his K teacher suggested having him tested through the school. We let him test, and the school decided to have him move to 1st (last year). Usually when I say that, people say "ok". If I put any info about how *I* tried advocating before K, then I get questions and whispers.
Posted By: katebee Re: Another "what to say to curious parents" - 01/18/11 07:53 AM
We're pushing for acceleration at the moment and I'll remember that one as it's fab! Except I am the PTA President (but not much of a gossip!), hehe! Although there sure are plenty of others.

Excellent on the feet thinking!!

K x
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum