Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Adrienne I want the bad buzz words - 09/27/10 10:49 PM
I hear Grinity use some in another thread, and it got me curious, especially with the meeting tomorrow.

Could you list the buzz words that would just grate you the wrong way when speaking to the education professionals?
Posted By: bh14 Re: I want the bad buzz words - 09/28/10 12:00 AM
I have read many times to not say "bored" as they take offense to it. Many people do not like the word "gifted" either as they often think of it as elitist.

Choosing your words carefully and saying the same thing in a gentler manner can yield better results.

Posted By: CAMom Re: I want the bad buzz words - 09/28/10 12:35 AM
Well I hate it when teachers say my kid is "special" because it's never in a way that implies he's actually special. It usually translates into "your kid is parented by a PITA mom". :-)
Posted By: jesse Re: I want the bad buzz words - 09/28/10 12:41 AM
bad words (?):

bored, smart, bored, too easy, bored smile

ok words to use (?)

- appropriate education for child's level of capability
- advance learner?
- challenge child's ability

- I want child to develop good work ethic (from Grinity's post here: http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....e_ball_is_in_my_hands_tim.html#Post86051

Posted By: Grinity Re: I want the bad buzz words - 09/28/10 06:21 PM
I love
My child does best emotionally when given learning material with their readiness level. (The term 'readiness level' isn't widely know, but if the person askes it gives you a great opening to share your specific and concrete examples of what you child already is doing academically at home or in other settings)

I want my child to learn how to learn.
I want my child to learn an age appropriate amount of frustration tolerance.
I want my child to develop good work ethic.

It's also ok to share that you have an aunt (or whatever) who breezed through elementary school getting A+s for work that didn't she barely lifed a finger to complete and then (whatever terrible thing happened.)

It's especially good to talk about 'cute stories' when dear child blossomed socially while playing with older kids (with details of what made the play complicated or advanced) or doing advanced school work (with details so that you don't have to say that it's advanced, the audience will just get shivers).

I think my high school writing course told me to 'show not tell' the audience. Not bad advice for advocacy. In the ideal situation your role would be to share 'cute stories' and ask questions until the teacher or principal was demanding that you allow them to take action.

Sadly, there are many years that even with all the correct words, I still wasn't successful at advocacy. Sometimes the school just doesn't have what the child needs, and sometimes they just can't be sold on my vision of who my kid is and what he needs.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Best Wishes,
Grinity
Posted By: seablue Re: I want the bad buzz words - 09/29/10 09:18 PM
Great stuff, Grinity, thanks!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum