Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: lex Things with wheels obsession. - 05/10/10 02:14 AM
I have an eccentric 2 year four month old who reads/spells but is not that into it. Cars rule!

Most of his time is spent playing with cars and trains (I'm talking a lot of time! He does have other interests such as music and space.

Like many folks here he was an very early talker, knew his phonic alphabet before 18 months old and counting objects to twenty way way before that...blah blah.

I do teach him things he is interested in however strange such as the constellations. But I don't mess with his vehicle obsession. Just wondering if I should try and cut down his "wheels" time and could this over-interest be a symptom of a disorder?

He is a preemie by 2 months and gets OT, and PT therapy for moderate delays. He communication skills seem uneven with his large vocabulary, more akin to his due date, but they are there. That plus his low frustration level have some folks concerned.

All boys love wheels.

YH
Posted By: onthegomom Re: Things with wheels obsession. - 05/10/10 02:31 AM
This seems very normal to love wheels. I try to follow my kids leads with interests but of course do lots of other things during the day. Just give him lots of love and have fun.
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Things with wheels obsession. - 05/10/10 05:22 AM
Mine was like that, her didn't have security blanket or teddy, he bought his cars along everywhere. He's older now, and it's a bit better, it was something he just seems to outgrow. Hang in there smile
Posted By: Kate Re: Things with wheels obsession. - 05/10/10 10:57 AM
About the wheels, DS (now 7) was diagnosed at age 2.5 with autism and one of the quirks/traits was that he DIDN'T love playing with toy cars/trucks in the appropriate way. He flipped them upside down and spun the wheels instead of driving them around the house going vroom vroom like most boys. I don't think your son's interest sounds like an obsession, just normal play behavior! Nan
Posted By: lex Re: Things with wheels obsession. - 05/12/10 03:03 PM
Thanks!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum