Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Niti CTY Young Readers course - 04/28/10 09:16 PM
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has done the CTY distance learning Young Readers course?
I looked into and the course seems ok. My DS8 needs to improve his creative writing and Vocab.
An other suggestions/ advice will also help.
I didn't know about other courses.
Thanks
Posted By: mominsac Re: CTY Young Readers course - 04/29/10 04:16 AM
My two daughters took the CTY Young Readers classes (one for 2/3rd and other for 4/5th graders). I think I wrote about our experience in depth in an entry few months ago here, if you can search my prior entries. My kids really liked the online course, it was quite interactive with the other students, so they felt like they were part of a class, I thought the syllabus content and assignments were well-structured, creative, requiring more insightful understanding of the books, and the weekly teacher feedbacks were also thoughtful and useful. Most importantly, it required the students to support their ideas with specific cites, so it forced them to be more disciplined about stating their positions. One of the writing assignments every week had a more open-ended, creative element to it. In summary, it served our purposes of having a fun but structured way to keep up with reading/writing through the summer. You can also check each class syllabus on the CTY website
Posted By: Lorel Re: CTY Young Readers course - 04/30/10 03:05 PM
Here's my two cents on the YR courses: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art63811.asp
Posted By: Niti Re: CTY Young Readers course - 05/01/10 05:32 AM
MOminsac- I looked at ur posts, didn't find one related to CTY Online course. But Ur posts helps him to decide. I am for sure going to enroll him now.
Lorel_ Ur link help me understand how the couse goes. I like the interactive teachers. the kids need that. I saw the books for 2/3 grade levels and I liked the books. My DS8 loves Harry Potter, Percy Jackson and such books a lot......... We have at least 2 books going on side by side.
Ur posts was very helpful.
Thanks to u both.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum