Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Isa Gifted analogies - 12/13/07 08:00 PM
Please share the analogies that you like most concerning the GT.

Here is mine:

People are like a carriage with horses. The horse are the brains and the carriage is the body.
GT people have top racing horses.
But sometimes the reins are not well connected to the carriage, or the wheels are misaligned, and then we have 2E.
Sometimes the horses are forced to slow down and they become impatient, or agressive or apathic. They may grow too fat for lack of exercise and may become slow.

But if everything is ok then they race like .... (your suggestions here ;))
Posted By: Mom2LA Re: Gifted analogies - 12/13/07 08:08 PM
But if everything is ok then they race like...the wind; absolutely free to move where their hearts take them.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted analogies - 12/13/07 08:19 PM
I like to think of my son as having a racecar up on cement blocks, reving his engine and going nowhere, when the other kids are learning the rules of the road on their bicycles. Of course things have improved so much in the last 2 years, but in 4th grade, that was what it felt like.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Gifted analogies - 12/14/07 01:16 AM
We use the racecar on blocks analogy here, too. We realized that DS6 spent the last 3 years or so standing still. Now that we removed the blocks, his engine runs like a fine racing machine. It's fun to watch!

Of course, I love the well-used and brilliant cheetah analogy...
Posted By: Ania Re: Gifted analogies - 12/14/07 06:27 AM
I really liked Trinity's analogy to wings I read in another post. Trin, would you post it here?
And by the way, how was the STORM???!!!
You were in the news today!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted analogies - 12/14/07 02:11 PM
No Problem, although Ania, this is a public board, and you can quote me anytime.

I'll embellish a bit:
My son was quite "invisible" to many of the School Folks at his old school. I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge, heavy, invisable wings, that most teachers couldn't see. These wings were filled with light, and sparkled so brightly that looking directly at them could be painful. All most people could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. Any one could tell he was different, and most people thought he was just clumsy and awkward. Which he was, both at walking, flying and sitting at a desk. His flying was clumbsy because he was young and inexperienced, but I did sometimes observe tremendous grace. But didn't every mother find her own child to be miraculous at times? Obviously there was almost no place to actually practice flying during the school day. Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. It was sad that he came home so tired and worn out from holding those wings in at an strange angle, but it couldn't be helped. The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Well - things didn't turn out that way, and we got quite an education. I'm grateful to DS for opening my eyes. As sad as it is when a teacher doesn't see the wings, there isn't anything sadder than a winged person who can't see their own wings, but only feels a vauge heavy weight, and see the folk who get mysteriously knocked down. The number one reason for educating ourselves about gifted issues, and unraveling our own pasts, is to be able to hold a mirror up to our children so they can see and understand themselves better, strengths and challenges both.

Love,
Trinity
Posted By: Mia Re: Gifted analogies - 12/14/07 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trinity
No Problem, although Ania, this is a public board, and you can quote me anytime.

I'll embellish a bit:
My son was quite "invisible" to many of the School Folks at his old school. I even made up a story in my mind that his giftedness was like a pair of huge, heavy, invisable wings, that most teachers couldn't see. These wings were filled with light, and sparkled so brightly that looking directly at them could be painful. All most people could detect was the way those invisible wings knocked things over and made DS wobble when he walked. Any one could tell he was different, and most people thought he was just clumsy and awkward. When he was, both at walking, flying and sitting at a desk. His flying was clumbsy because he was young and inexperienced, but I did sometimes observe tremendous grace. But didn't every mother find her own child to be miraculous at times? Obviously there was almost no place to actually practice flying during the school day. Even his parents were mostly concerned that he hold his wings politely in and not knock over the other children. It was sad that he came home so tired and worn out from holding those wings in at an strange angle, but it couldn't be helped. The wings would take care of themselves until the wonderful day when he could use them, right?

Wow, Trinity, that's fabulous. It gives me goose bumps, it's so good. I want to steal it too! I see my own ds so much in those words.
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted analogies - 12/14/07 03:05 PM
Thanks for the compliment Mia!
Here's a link to hoagies for some more - http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/analogies.htm

BTW - don't steal my analogy, but you can borrow it as needed! Just send people here to "Gifted Issues" so they can meet me!

Smiles and Winks,
Trinity
Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted analogies - 12/17/07 06:30 PM
Hey everyone!
I hope you checked out the Hoagie's link, because I want you to return there and see the "new" analogy, Spread His Wings and Fly!

I felt it was time to change my name. So appologies to all who think of me as Trinity - if it helps, then think of Grinity as Trinity's Sister, who is grinning so wide now that her little boy is finally growing up due to his more appropriate school situation, and a little bit of time!

I've always wanted to say something well enough that it got added to Hoagie's Page. This is my first.

Smiles,
Grinity
Posted By: Isa Re: Gifted analogies - 12/17/07 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Trinity
Hey everyone!
I hope you checked out the Hoagie's link, because I want you to return there and see the "new" analogy, Spread His Wings and Fly!

I felt it was time to change my name. So appologies to all who think of me as Trinity - if it helps, then think of Grinity as Trinity's Sister, who is grinning so wide now that her little boy is finally growing up due to his more appropriate school situation, and a little bit of time!

I've always wanted to say something well enough that it got added to Hoagie's Page. This is my first.

Smiles,
Grinity

Hi Grinity!

I really like your analogy smile

And I am happy for your son too. smile smile smile

Posted By: Grinity Re: Gifted analogies - 12/17/07 07:21 PM
Dottie -
I think your IAS post would be really, really important!

I've been watching a while now, and I honestly think that one of the reason it's working is because your lapper is the opposite gender of his older siblings. Another part could be the sort of 'obviousness' of the situation. I think it would be harder if the Lapee was almost as extreame, and not also not getting their needs met in their current classroom. Also I think most females, because we can multitask, are better at seeing multiple sides to situations than our little males, so they make better lapees. Kids who are into their social scene make better Lapee candidates. Plus you have a nice family, full of nice kind people.

One aspect that I'm unsure about is that your Lapper is gifted in a way that is more similar to his parents, while your Lappees have gifts from farther afield. If the older one was a chip off the old block, would that make breaking the ISA harder or easier?

LOL - Can you write it as a questionair, full of 'add a point if's? That way it can be informative, and funny at the same time.
Posted By: Kriston Re: Gifted analogies - 12/18/07 01:20 AM
I like that, Grinity!

(And hello to Trinity's happy sister! smile )
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum