Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: onthegomom 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 04:26 AM
9 classes 100%, math 99.6%, health 97.1%, Music 92%, computer 90%

Would this make you nervous if your 1st grader had these grades? This just seems to perfect to me. DH said just be happy. DD7 says it's all easy.
Posted By: Cricket2 Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 04:38 AM
The grades themselves wouldn't make me nervous. Whether she had to work at all to get them would. If there was no work involved in those higher 90s, I'd see if there is the possibility of giving her harder work in those subjects.
Posted By: Katelyn'sM om Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 05:02 AM
I totally agree with Cricket and have to say what a good mom you are for being concerned. Most parents would just be happy for the As and not consider the future and why all As would be a concern.

Is your daughter a true 1st grader or was she accelerated? If she wasn't, is it something you are/might consider? I suspect the grades and her comment indicate considering it. I am a big believer in challenging the G+ kids early in their school careers so they learn how to learn, but that is definitely something for another topic.
Posted By: paynted28 Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 06:08 AM
I would say that most 1st graders don't generally know how to push themselves to work really hard...they are usually still young enough just to do what is in front of them. If I were you I would see about giving her some challenging workbooks on second and third grade levels and if she seems to do those easily I would definitely see what you could do to move her up or find a more challenging environment. It is nice being top of the class without having to work until you graduate high school and you have to figure out how to push yourself.
Posted By: Grinity Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 12:32 PM
I would look for 'perfectionistic behavior' and observe the classroom to see what is going on in there. I do think that most 1st grade teachers are 'easy graders.' Best Wishes,
Grintiy
Posted By: NJMom Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 01:15 PM
I'm VERY surprised to see a school giving grades to a 1st grader. I've never seen that around here.

I would not be too concerned about the grades themselves. For kids this young, teachers are not going to give tests or assignments that are so difficult that many kids would get low grades. I'm sure that tests and assignments are designed so that most kids will be successful.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't be concerned about things being too easy. But in first grade, I don't think you need to push to find the ultimate challenge in every area of study. I would see if you can increase the challenge level in one major area. And don't forget that you can provide challenge outside of school and outside of academics. It's not all going to happen in the classroom.

Posted By: zhian Re: 100% 1st Grader - 02/12/10 05:42 PM
I agree with all the comments about looking at the effort those grades require. As a teacher, I'd say that if a student is making those kinds of grades EASILY, there'd be cause for concern.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum