Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Grinity Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/02/07 01:32 PM
Here's the link to Splash http://esp.mit.edu/learn/Splash/index.html

MIT's weekend enrichment program for Middle School and High School students. It's reasonably priced, and attending one day is well worth it. If you live within 6 hours of Boston Mass. USA it's worth attending.

Last year was our first year, and I did meet a family from Florida who came "on their way to a Family Thanksgiving...in Chicago" - so it's a great place to people watch the Moms and Dads try to talk about their gifted kids and get all tounge tied and embarrassed. I've never seen my DS so blissed. Particularly if your child is an Extrovert, and not likely to catch that learning buzz off by themselves, I think this event is worth making an effort to get to.

Smiles,
Trinity
Posted By: Lorel Re: Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/02/07 02:27 PM
We're looking forward to seeing you there, Trin! It took a lot of patience to get through registration, but we managed to get most of my son's preferred classes locked in.

take care-
Posted By: Lorel Re: Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/19/07 02:09 PM
Splash! was better than ever this year. The new area assigned for the parent lounge was bigger and encouraged more mingling among parents. The speakers were outstanding, and covered everything form "Gifted 101" to underachievement. I had a blast talking to parents from all over the country, though of course most within driving distance.

I highly recommend Splash! not only for the kids, but for parents as well.

Trinity, as always, it was great to see you again. Maybe one of these days we'll have time for more than a five minute conversation!

best wishes-
Posted By: esperanza Re: Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/20/07 01:58 PM
I had read about this and have it on my list for when our son is older. I'm glad to hear that it's so well-done.
Posted By: Lorel Re: Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/20/07 02:06 PM
Esperanza, it's a great bargain at $30 a pop for the kids, and the adult programs are FREE! It's well worth a bit of traveling.

Dot, some of your kids ARE old enough already! You should definitely consider it for next year.

Posted By: Lorel Re: Splash at MIT enrichment weekend! - 11/20/07 09:22 PM
You are right about the new rules. The age limit of 11 is supposed to be strictly enforced. Sorry, thought your younger daughter was already 11! Your girls would love it too. Most of the kids attending are probably G of some type, but I don't think even here the majority could be PG.

See you next fall?
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum