Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: inky Inspiring Parent Advocate - 10/08/09 01:41 AM
SwitchedOnMom recommended this article on The More Child Blog. It was a great read that hit many important points.
http://www.takoma.com/archives/copy/2009/10/schoolscene1009.html
And the school system�s reaction to this training seems to be to shift further away from homogeneous grouping�.

I agree that all children should get the resources they need. Are all students the same? No. So I don�t agree with homogeneous grouping. I see the need for some heterogeneous grouping in elementary school, but even there, they need to have the acceleration and enrichment. All kids need enrichment but not all kids are the same. Once they get to middle school, differentiated classrooms have to be the norm. I think MCPS is making a mistake. I think they�ve been pushed into it because of the steady drumbeat in the county to treat all kids as if they are alike. I definitely don�t think that works for African-American students.
Posted By: Jamie B Re: Inspiring Parent Advocate - 10/08/09 02:07 AM
It's sad that after all that she did the school board didn't even ask her why she was pulling her daughter out frown
Posted By: traceyqns Re: Inspiring Parent Advocate - 10/13/09 12:45 PM
Great article how our society "flattens our intellectual hierarchy" It really is sad. We are waiting to hear back from the one private school in our area that we can afford. It is full but they might make an exception. If they take our DS6 we are taking him out of public before he completely loses his mind.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum