Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ccore Advocating for acceleration - 10/02/07 02:58 AM
Our daughter is in a first grade gifted class, and complains daily of boredom. I am now beginning to advocate for acceleration to a second grade gifted class now. Although our principal initially discussed this option with some enthusiasm, she appears to have some minor reservations. I think her concerns are social/emotional. I would like to solicit strategies for advocating for acceleration - being assertive and compelling, but not alienating ourselves from the principal.
Any ideas?
Cynthia
Posted By: Kriston Re: Advocating for acceleration - 10/02/07 04:16 AM
My new friends here directed me to this website for a book with the seal of approval of the National Association for Gifted Children. It's really useful for addressing objections to acceleration:

http://www.nationdeceived.org

Maybe it will help you?

Best wishes!
Posted By: Grinity Re: Advocating for acceleration - 10/02/07 01:28 PM
Hi CCrore,
i've heard that it helps in writing (real paper, not email, ideally delivered in person, and calmly read)that you believe that the placement is in your daughters best interests, and that you officially relieve the school of any responsibility for social difficulties that may someday occur due to this intervention, as you are the parents and willing to accept responsibility for her character development.

Good Luck,
Trin
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum