Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: melmichigan CTY? - 07/27/09 10:42 PM
I couldn't find another post on this but thought it had been asked...What are the benefits of CTY? I have read the website but am curious what actual people think the benefits are.
Posted By: cym Re: CTY? - 08/01/09 02:31 AM
We have experience with CTY talent search (same as the other regional talent searches except I think the number of participants are the highest...so when you're in top 10%, it's more meaningful) and their newletter is great. If you're asking about the benefits of talent searches, then I'd say, to be able to test with a higher ceiling than NCLB grade level "proficient" or "advanced" categories. It's an enrichment opportunity for gifted/hg kids. Also, I believe it helps them get familiar & comfortable with test taking & start learning strategies that could help later on. Finally, it enables them to qualify for summer institutes & distance ed opportunities (and possibly scholarships).

My sons have participated in 3 jhu cty summer institutes and each has LOVED it. One took a course in Oceanography in Hawaii, one took a course in engineering in CA, and one took a math/logic course in CA. Compared to other summer institutes they've done, they've said they're less intense and way more diverse. Kids from all over the world, different socio-economic groups, etc. My kids really enjoyed that aspect. We have not done distance education through cty at this point.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum