Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: BWBShari A parent's wish list for gifted education - 03/11/09 01:45 AM
Saw this on Hoagies....Oh, in a perfect world!
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/wish_list.htm
We can all dream can't we?
Posted By: inky Re: A parent's wish list for gifted education - 03/11/09 02:26 AM
So much to like about that list. smile These were my favorites:

Measure a child's knowledge and skills based not on exiting a grade, but rather on adding to his inventory during that grade

Provide full disclosure of student test results, including tests given, subtest scores, and explanations

The last one applies to parents AND teachers!
Posted By: JJsMom Re: A parent's wish list for gifted education - 03/11/09 02:43 AM
I think I shed a tear:

Offer entrance to Kindergarten whenever a child is developmentally ready

I wish!!!!! Any parent has the choice of holding his/her child back another year after the child is old enough to be in kindergarten, but I don't have the ability to put my child in kindergarten until he is old enough, even if he should be in at least 1st grade right now!
But what is developmentally ready for a twice exceptional child? While he was still 3, my son was doing Reader Rabbit First Grade at home, but because he has motor dyspraxia he couldn't color in the lines very well. He said he could do it but it took too long and he hated it. The kindergarten teacher felt was important enough to recommend holding him back a year and didn't feel that it would hurt him in any way because he didn't need to learn anything. The problem was, my son wanted to learn.

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum