Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: willagayle a brag - 02/14/07 12:22 AM
We just received report cards and noticed they have added a new category, "class rank" for the senior high students.

drum roll please puduhpuhduhpudhpudhpudh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ranking as 1 of 224 is none other than our RITE!!!!

weeeeeeeehaw!!!!

and brag number dos....Mite has 4 S+ and 1 drum roll please....E!!! That from the little lad last year who had 4 N (needs improvement), 1 S.

PHEW!!! Rite's always had straight A's, but we never knew his class rank until now. So, maybe we've hope for a valedictorian and Stanford scholar afterall!!! Educator's can't keep these 2E guys down!!!!
Posted By: delbows Re: a brag - 02/14/07 12:59 AM
That is really impressive Willa Gayle! Congratulations to your sons!!!

Is Rite a sophomore this year? I understand that MN offers high achieving HS students slots at local universities to take classes while still in HS on the state dime. Is that available where you are?
Posted By: doodlebug Re: a brag - 02/14/07 01:56 AM
Congratulations! Nice to celebrate with you! Thanks for sharing the great news!
Posted By: Christi Re: a brag - 02/14/07 02:25 PM
Willagayle,

I'm new here but I just wanted to pat you and your sons on the back for awesome performance! You are such a fantastic advocate for your kids and an inspiration to those of us who are just starting out.

Way to go!!!

Christi
Posted By: Jill Re: a brag - 02/14/07 02:31 PM
Congradulations to both boys!

Jill
Posted By: willagayle Re: a brag - 02/14/07 06:02 PM
Rite is a freshman. The PSEO program, I believe, is what you are referring to. In MN juniors and seniors can take Post-Secondary Option courses and can, if they wish, complete as many as 2 years of undergradute in their last 2 years of school.

We are investigating that option, but understand it might affect college applications if there are too many courses taken that way. The kids then become "transfer" students rather than freshman, apparently. That has an impact on getting into some of the better schools.

Posted By: Grinity Re: a brag - 02/14/07 07:56 PM
Yippee!
Posted By: stbmom Re: a brag - 02/15/07 12:50 AM
That is wonderful!
Posted By: Ania Re: a brag - 03/03/07 08:11 PM
Well, here comes a big one, at least as far as material things are concerned...
My DS was writing MathMatters competiton for 6 th graders in SLC area today and he WON !!! 1st Place !!!
His prize is a brand new laptop with all the latest gizmos.

Now he knows that attending all those math clubs can pay off.

Ania
Posted By: cym Re: a brag - 03/03/07 09:33 PM
How cool! There is such a rush from winning a contest or competition or well-matched sports game...what a great experience.

Posted By: Grinity Re: a brag - 03/04/07 02:44 AM
Congradulations! That's so cool. Yippee!
Posted By: willagayle Re: a brag - 03/04/07 07:08 PM
ah I didn't see this Ania. Congrats to your DS. I want the laptop!!! envy envy envy:^)

Isn't it great to see the kids succeed?!!
Posted By: delbows Re: a brag - 03/04/07 11:13 PM
Ania,

That is great! I know you are very proud, as you should be!
Posted By: Ania Re: a brag - 03/04/07 11:31 PM
I am proud but the best part about it is that he was rewarded for
his academic achievement. Nowdays in the world academics are mostly numbers, prizes and "material" rewards come generally in sports and sport like activities. Think about it. Until last year, when DS got tons of medals for his high scores in the RMTS,
his trophies where coming from sports and music. And he is not a sportsman, especially when it comes to group sports. His strongest point has always been "academic ability". So I think that it is realy cool that he got rewarded for that. A good kind of message was send to his pre-tenage brain.
How cool it is to have your own laptop at 11! And he was oficially told that it is OK to brag about it!
Ania
Posted By: Grinity Re: a brag - 03/06/07 12:45 AM
I'm so glad he got permission to brag! Well done! I agree that having your own laptop at 11 is cool. Earning it at 11 is even cooler!

Trin
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum