Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: kathyray Public School Students advancing - 02/09/07 12:59 AM
Hello,
I just found and joined this forum today. I have spent almost a year trying to get our shcool system to allow my son to advance in math (unsuccessfully). What's worse is that the administration initially said "yes", gave hime a few months to be self-taught in Algebra I, administered the test (to test out and advance to Geometry) and then said "oops, he's not allowed to test-out and is denied advancement." Even worse or better, depending on how you look at it, he scored in the top 1 percent on the test having been self taught! He is currently taking Algebra I (again) and is bored silly. We are still requesting advancement and are still being denied. What's one to do?
Mom
Posted By: delbows Re: Public School Students advancing - 02/09/07 02:11 PM
Hi Kathy,
Sounds like many of us are/were in the same boat. How old and what grade is your son? Does he attend public school?
Posted By: Grinity Re: Public School Students advancing - 02/09/07 06:01 PM
Hi kathyray,

Welcome. I'm so sorry you son is left behind in Math. Part of the question to consider is how is everything else going, and what options are availible. Some kids can do distance learning Math programs at school while the other kids are doing their Math. Some kids take courses at their local university or community college. Sometimes a change of schools is needed.

What else is going on in his life?
Trin
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum