Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: echofuzz advocacy win! - 02/15/18 03:08 PM
hi, all.

i'm happy to share that i've made some progress in obtaining appropriate math work for my DS8. the principal has matched him up with a student teacher, and during RTI, they'll work on math at his level! he'll still have to participate in the classroom portion of math, but he'll actually be learning new math at school. i don't know the full details, but it's something. a big something. smile

and now i have to figure out how to get that little voice in my head to stop saying, "yeah, it's great... for now..."

i've been on this board a while now, mostly just reading and learning from everyone's posts. and i know from your experiences that my job isn't done. but thanks for helping me make this much happen. smile

e
Posted By: aeh Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 03:22 PM
Yay!
Posted By: aquinas Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 03:39 PM
Make sure you have audit safeguards in place so you can track implementation. I've been on the receiving end of acquiescence that morphed quickly into total inaction, and I'm now doing daily monitoring to ensure that the promises are fulfilled.

Good luck, congratulations!
Posted By: echofuzz Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 04:56 PM
Originally Posted by aquinas
Make sure you have audit safeguards in place so you can track implementation. I've been on the receiving end of acquiescence that morphed quickly into total inaction, and I'm now doing daily monitoring to ensure that the promises are fulfilled.

Good luck, congratulations!

thank you!

i have no idea about audit safeguards, or how to track progress, but i'm sure i'll be learning. smile honestly, i don't even know how it's going to work, or how often, or the like. but it's been implemented, which is more than anyone else i know in our district has been able to accomplishment.

i'll have to talk to the principal to find out how to follow up on what he'll be working on and how often they'll meet, if they'll set up specific goals and so on, or if it'll be more organic in nature. i'm not sure that they know. so far as i know, this is the first time they've done this for a student, so it's new territory for them, too.
Posted By: MontessoriMom Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 04:57 PM
That's so great to hear!
Posted By: echofuzz Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by aeh
Yay!

THANK YOU!

you've been an awesome resource and if i knew what you liked and where to send it, you'd be getting a big thank you basket from us!
Posted By: aeh Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 06:16 PM
You've already sent all the thank you basket I needed! smile
Posted By: echofuzz Re: advocacy win! - 02/15/18 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by MontessoriMom
That's so great to hear!

thank you!!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum