Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Hi guys! Earlier i posted a forum about my nwea scores and if they where considered gifted (above the 95th percentile) back in identification and testing * http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....ade_High_nwea_test_score.html#Post238397 * (and yes my Science and Reading scores where both above the 95th percentile, as well as scored advanced in both Language Arts and Science on the M-Step)

Now my main concern is that my public school i go to wont accelerate me for English (In my school theres 2 classes for English considered "Excel" where kids who are above grade level do the next years work.) I've talked to multiple teachers and school counselors and they said i qualified for the program but it's filled.

To my perspective this is complete bull, another excuse made was that since the excel class is giving high school credit, i wouldnt be able to get the credit since it already started.

Can a public school do this? I go to a small school in Michigan, and one of my favorite subjects is english, im currently going to be a freshmen this year and have never been enrolled in any acceleration program.

Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/16/17 10:07 PM
Looking at the Michigan legislation for gifted education, some might say that because gifted programs are not mandated, a school may have no obligation to serve a particular student who might need or benefit from advanced curriculum in English. That's one take on it. However the school has a program, so the question to focus on may be one of "access".

You may wish to check your school policies online, to learn how they describe their gifted program, especially this class. For example, is there a prerequisite?
...an enrollment deadline?
...a notification of what the qualification criteria would be (NWEA scores)?
...a policy of advising all who qualified (via NWEA scores) about the opportunity to enroll in this course?
...is there a lottery if number of interested/qualified pupils exceeds the number of seats the school chooses to make available?
...is entry granted on a first-come, first-served basis?
...is entry granted in score order, with highest scores first?
...does a letter of recommendation help to gain entry?
If the information is not transparent and/or is not shared with all students/families in a matter which provides equal opportunity to access the course, then this may be a talking point for you. However, this may be saved as a last resort, and you'll want to be sure to have collected your facts prior to raising this as a possibility.

Back to researching your school's website: Does your school have an add/drop or schedule change policy? For example, it may be the first week or even first month of the term. How far are you into the term?

Often a student may gain full credit by making up the work which they missed. Often a student may attend the teacher's office hours for assistance or tutoring to catch up on missed work.

Would any of the teachers and/or school counselors who assured you that you have qualified this course be willing to write a letter of recommendation for you?
Would any of these teachers and/or school counselors advocate for you to be admitted to the class?
Is there a parent or other in-person adult who might be able to help you research and advocate?

As for calling it bull, you may be right. Many organizations do what is streamlined and/or easiest... they may take the path of least resistance. It may be safe enough to call it bull here, but please do not take that approach with the school. There is a saying, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." This means a pleasant approach is generally more effective. Here's a bunch of advocacy tips. The most important at the moment may be the meeting tips, including:
- researching and fact-finding (you've already begun this)
- keeping emotions in check
- taking notes on who you spoke with, when you spoke with them, what they said.

Best wishes with this. I do hope you get into the course you are interested in and qualified for.
Originally Posted by indigo
Looking at the Michigan legislation for gifted education, some might say that because gifted programs are not mandated, a school may have no obligation to serve a particular student who might need or benefit from advanced curriculum in English. That's one take on it. However the school has a program, so the question to focus on may be one of "access".

You may wish to check your school policies online, to learn how they describe their gifted program, especially this class. For example, is there a prerequisite?
...a policy of advising all who qualified (via NWEA scores) about the opportunity to enroll in this course?
...is there a lottery if number of interested/qualified pupils exceeds the number of seats the school chooses to make available?
If the information is not transparent and/or is not shared with all students/families in a matter which provides equal opportunity to access the course, then this may be a talking point for you. However, this may be saved as a last resort, and you'll want to be sure to have collected your facts prior to raising this as a possibility.

Back to researching your school's website: Does your school have an add/drop or schedule change policy? For example, it may be the first week or even first month of the term. How far are you into the term?

Often a student may gain full credit by making up the work which they missed. Often a student may attend the teacher's office hours for assistance or tutoring to catch up on missed work.

Would any of the teachers and/or school counselors who assured you that you have qualified this course be willing to write a letter of recommendation for you?
Would any of these teachers and/or school counselors advocate for you to be admitted to the class?
Is there a parent or other in-person adult who might be able to help you research and advocate?

As for calling it bull, you may be right. Many organizations do what is streamlined and/or easiest... they may take the path of least resistance. It may be safe enough to call it bull here, but please do not take that approach with the school. There is a saying, "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." This means a pleasant approach is generally more effective. Here's a bunch of advocacy tips. The most important at the moment may be the meeting tips, including:

Best wishes with this. I do hope you get into the course you are interested in and qualified for.
Thank you for taking your time and replying to my forum.

I would like to emphasize this class is not a class for gifted but a class for kids who test above grade level. There are 150 kids in my grade and 60 kids enrolled into the Excel Language Arts in my grade, which is 40 % in my grade (this is the same for about every grade in my school)

Also there is no hint of the Excel program offered at my school on there website.

Thanks for taking your time and replying to my forum!

I would like to emphasize that this class is not a gifted class but for kids who test above grade level. There are 150 kids in my grade and 60 in my grade are enrolled into the Language Art excel class, percentage wise 40% of kids in my grade are enrolled into the Excel Language Arts (this is about the same statistic in every grade at my school).

Also there is no hint of the excel programs at my school on there website.
Posted By: puffin Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/18/17 08:06 PM
It seems schools do mostly whatever they like.
I hear that it is done all the time for expediency, whether it complies with official education laws/policies or not. Sometimes it helps when the parents make a fuss. It also makes a difference why you were excluded. Did you miss a deadline for requesting particular classes? Were your scores lower in previous administrations or have you received relatively lower grades in the past? As for high school credit, in our area it is predicated on a sufficiently high score on the year-end high school exam.
Originally Posted by Quantum2003
I hear that it is done all the time for expediency, whether it complies with official education laws/policies or not. Sometimes it helps when the parents make a fuss. It also makes a difference why you were excluded. Did you miss a deadline for requesting particular classes? Were your scores lower in previous administrations or have you received relatively lower grades in the past? As for high school credit, in our area it is predicated on a sufficiently high score on the year-end high school exam.
Thanks for replying!

In my middle school there are no sign-ups besides the traditional music options (Choir,Band,and Orchestra). Usually what happens is at the end of 7th grade the Language Art teacher will meet students individually in class, who feel would benefit from the excel Language art class and ask them if they would like to participate in the excel class in 8th grade.

I am usually an A-B student, but in 8th grade i grew intensively tired/bored of middle school and my grades dropped at the end of the last trimester. I know i sabotaged my self as counselors use my grade dropping as another excuse to not let me into the excel Language Arts. (Another minor reason i became bored was because i am a year older than all my peers because i started school late)

But i still and have always scored very high on my state testing proving i can handle the excel class. (My nwea science and reading scores are the highest in the school)

Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by DigitalPixels
I am usually an A-B student, but in 8th grade i grew intensively tired/bored of middle school and my grades dropped at the end of the last trimester. I know i sabotaged my self as counselors use my grade dropping as another excuse to not let me into the excel Language Arts. (Another minor reason i became bored was because i am a year older than all my peers because i started school late)
But i still and have always scored very high on my state testing...(My nwea science and reading scores are the highest in the school)
Kudos to you for owning your mistake. Meanwhile you are not alone in having a discrepancy between high potential and low achievement; This is often called underachievement. One common antidote to underachievement is appropriately challenging curriculum. One might expect teachers and school counselors to be familiar with this and therefore be willing to help advocate for your placement in the class which you qualified for.

Beginning school a year late is often called red-shirting.
Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 03:38 AM
Thanks for taking your time and replying to my forum!
You are very polite to thank me, and you are very welcome. smile I have a soft spot for people who are new to advocacy, especially for students.

Because you mentioned that you are interested in Language Arts, you will want to have a large and accurate vocabulary. For that reason, I will share that I replied to your thread, or to your post (not to your forum). The forums are the different groups of topics... for example, you posted your thread in the Parenting and Advocacy forum.

I would like to emphasize that this class is not a gifted class but for kids who test above grade level.
In your school, is there a difference between "gifted" and "kids who test above grade level"? In some schools there would not be a difference.

there is no hint of the excel programs at my school on there website.
Schools may vary widely... some may have information in a printed paper course catalog, a parent/student handbook, or a letter sent home... while others may have information online within a school website, district website, school board policies, etc. The point is to find the source documents. The school can be held to these policies/practices.

On the other hand, as you mentioned that this is a small school, is this a situation where "everyone just knows", information travels by word-of-mouth, and there is little documentation?

One way or the other, you may wish to consider what information may help you move forward... for example, some things to look for:
- is there a waiting list for the excel class?
- is there a window of opportunity for add/drop after the term begins?

From your description in another post on this thread, it appears that teacher recommendation or teacher referral is the way to get into the advanced class; Therefore speaking to your teachers proactively may help them keep you in mind when it is time for them to recommend/refer students next year.

There are 150 kids in my grade and 60 in my grade are enrolled into the Language Art excel class, percentage wise 40% of kids in my grade are enrolled into the Excel Language Arts (this is about the same statistic in every grade at my school).
This sounds like 5 sections of 30 students each: 2 sections advanced, 3 sections at grade-level. Am I understanding this correctly?

It would be unusual for the number of students who qualified for the advanced class to exactly match the number of seats available. Are there other kids who qualified for the advanced class and did not get in? Does the school cluster group these advanced students together within a section of the grade-level class and have them work at their zone of proximal development?
Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 03:43 AM
Originally Posted by puffin
It seems schools do mostly whatever they like.
Unfortunately this may be true. While we have rule of law, legislation can change slowly. Additionally, not all families have the financial means to hire an attorney/lawyer/solicitor to point out all pertinent existing laws and force compliance with them. (In the present case, Michigan appears to have no gifted education laws.)

That's where advocacy comes in... often individual changes can be made, where it may be too time-consuming to change a policy/practice statement and/or a law.
Sorry for any grammar mistakes in any of my posts, I currently type on a phone. tired

In your school, is there a difference between "gifted" and "kids who test above grade level"? In some schools there would not be a difference.
No, there is no difference in my school, but generally speaking, test results to be considered for advanced placement/Excel (in my school) is much more lower.

This sounds like 5 sections of 30 students each: 2 sections advanced, 3 sections at grade-level. Am I understanding this correctly?
Correct, about 5 Language Art classes in total for a grade, 3 for grade level, and 2 for advanced students.

It would be unusual for the number of students who qualified for the advanced class to exactly match the number of seats available. Are there other kids who qualified for the advanced class and did not get in? Does the school cluster group these advanced students together within a section of the grade-level class and have them work at their zone of proximal development?
No the school does not at all challenge any kids in the grade level classes because they are considered grade-level to the school, . What really strikes me as odd is 40% of students in my grade are taking this advanced Language Arts, and many are barely above grade level/low 70's - low 80's percentiles on the nwea for Reading. I know the cutoff score will usually decrease for a smaller school, but when it's almost half of the grade?

Another concerning aspect is that i feel that i have a disadvantage for recommendation of a teacher. I feel like the teachers at my school recommend a lot more involved students in school/community activity (like sports) where as i stand out a bit (hold a different religion and positions than the majority of the community).

Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 02:04 PM
Another concerning aspect is that i feel that i have a disadvantage for recommendation of a teacher. I feel like the teachers at my school recommend a lot more involved students in school/community activity (like sports) where as i stand out a bit (hold a different religion and positions than the majority of the community).
A person's feelings are not necessarily accurate or in proportion to any given situation, for a variety of reasons. It is unwise to guess at the motivation or thinking of another; Such conjecture may amount to projecting one's own feelings onto others and may result in discrediting the accuser. When faced with potential disadvantage/bullying/discrimination, one might focus on:
- What someone said (and the context)
- What someone did (and the context)
Based on your several posts, there is not strong indication that "disadvantage" exists or is the best path to pursue in this situation. Alleging discrimination quickly escalates your situation beyond advocacy to a legal matter.

I would suggest focusing on and investing energy into areas in which you can work to increase the likelihood of inclusion in the current year's advanced classes and/or future year's advanced classes.

1) To demonstrate your interest in advanced Language Arts THIS YEAR:
- learn the waitlist and/or add/drop policy and timeframe.

2) To demonstrate your interest in advanced Language Arts for FUTURE YEARS:
- work on bringing up your grades. Show that you not only have ability or potential, but also the drive to achieve.
- tell your teacher(s), proactively, that you are interested in obtaining a recommendation/referral for the advanced class(es), and ask their advice.
- take care with your everyday grammar, spelling, diction.
- possibly use the web to find and enter a writing contest or competition. This may provide you with an academic challenge, help you grow your skills independently (whether or not you are in the advanced class), and furnish a piece of writing and/or an outside award that you might use to support your request for a recommendation/referral.
- be aware of all deadlines and due dates.

3) To change the school's policy/practice for selection of students into advanced Language Arts, it is strongly suggested that you work with a parent, or other in-person adult who can help you research and advocate. One possible approach is to type up a letter to send to each school board member and/or to read/present at a school board meeting:
- include your name, school, grade, date, and bibliography of outside expert resources and articles which you mention and/or attach.
- make a copy of your letter/presentation to hand out to each school board member and a few extra copies (including, possibly, an advance copy for local media so they are aware of what you will present, in the event that media may wish to cover the story).
- learn the rules for presenting at a school board meeting.
- at a school board meeting, read your letter/presentation. This may include:
-- explain to the school board the numbers which indicate that some students who qualify for and are interested in advanced Language Arts are not placed in this class, due to the number of qualified students exceeding the number of seats made available in two sections.
-- explain the academic difficulty which arises for students who qualify for an advanced course and are not placed in this class: underachievement. Include reference to specific quotes from one or more expert articles on underachievement which you select.
-- suggest that the school implement policies for change, to more closely meet student needs. These policy changes might include:
--- serving students with the greatest need for advanced coursework (as indicated by qualifying score) by enrolling students based on highest to lowest qualifying score.
--- cluster grouping students who qualified but did not get enrolled into the advanced course.
--- formalizing the policy/practice for enrollment in advanced courses, and publishing it (online, in student/parent handbook, course catalog, etc... whatever is your local norm) so that all students/families may have opportunity for timely access to the information on qualifying for and enrolling in advanced coursework.
Posted By: puffin Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 08:41 PM
Is English your second language? There are a few oddities in your typing i was putting down to phone typing or auto correct until you mentioned religion. If you do have accented English, an obvious religion and your grades dropped it is understandable you wouldn't be recommemded. I would approach the teacher, point out your testing results and ask what you would need to do to prove readiness. Also check whether you can switch classes during tthe year.

Eta. Accent has no bearing on ability or performance (I have had plenty of profwssira for whom English was their second/thrird/eighth language) but some people don't look past the surface.
Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/19/17 09:20 PM
puffin, are you in the US?

The United States has strictly enforced Civil Rights laws which prevent discrimination. Here is a link from the US Department of Education (USDoE), Office of Civil Rights (OCR): OCR Complaint Forms - Electronic and PDF versions, which states, in part, "Covered entities include all public and private programs that receive Federal funds from the U.S. Department of Education. These include all public schools and most public and private colleges, as well as some other entities, such as vocational rehabilitation agencies and libraries."

Because of the potential for federal lawsuit and loss of funding, it may be less likely that a student was not recommended/referred for an advanced class due to "accented English" or "obvious religion"... than for the student's grades dropping and other performance/achievement factors.

That said, I do agree with puffin's advice: "I would approach the teacher, point out your testing results and ask what you would need to do to prove readiness. Also check whether you can switch classes during the year."
Posted By: puffin Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/20/17 07:12 AM
I am not in the US but we have laws too. That does not stop a teacher having inbuilt bias which they may not even be aware of. It also does not stop teachers making mistakes or making decisions based on preconceived ideas (you can't have an LD and be gifted, if you get skipped you might get pregnant because that is what happened too the last person, it is unfair to make a ESL student do a hard class or whatever).

Anyway it may be irrelevant - I have never met the OP and she did state she was having trouble typing on her phone. I make a lot more errors on my phone too. And it is possible they just put students in order by grade and drew a line under number 60. The OP may have been 61.
Posted By: indigo Re: Can a public school reject acceleration? - 06/20/17 12:16 PM
puffin, while I agree this may be possible... it may not be probable. Weighing factual descriptions given by the student against the newly reported 'feeling' of 'disadvantage', I would not place emphasis on the emotion as compared with other details of posts:

- Small school, redshirted student.

- 7th grade (approx age 13?)- A/B student - NWEA scores unknown - not recommended/referred for advanced 8th grade Language Arts.

- 8th grade (approx age 14?) - drop in grades - student is bored - NWEA scores qualify for advanced 9th grade Language Arts - not recommended/referred for advanced 9th grade Language Arts. The combination of high test scores and low grades may indicate underachievement.

- 9th grade (approx age 15?) - Student desires placement in advanced 9th grade Language Arts, and reports that school says:
1) class is filled.
2) drop in grades justifies lack of recommendation/referral.
3) credit would not be granted as trimester has begun; term is in session.
-- Student appears to be addressing this situation after-the-fact as registration for class in not currently open.
-- The student did not respond as to how far into the term his/her school was, whether there is a waitlist or add-drop policy, whether there is a parent or other in-person adult to assist with research/advocacy, number of other students who qualified for and were interested in advanced 9th grade Language Arts but were not placed in that class.
-- While student states english is a favorite class, posts indicate poor use of grammar/diction beyond that which I typically observe as being attributable to typing on a phone.
-- Student describes school responses as 'complete bull' and 'excuses', and more recently reports 'feeling' at a disadvantage for a recommendation, based on not being active in sports/school/community and holding 'a different religion and positions than the majority of the community'.

In my observation and experience, it takes effort to earn good grades, to be active in community, to advocate. There are many articles written on essential attributes beyond high test scores which contribute to success. Age may be playing a role in student discontent.

I would emphasize areas for the student to apply effort, rather than creating conjecture of bias.

The student may benefit from understanding the overall context into which his/her complaint fits: There are many under-served students, and parents advocate for years in attempt to get needs met. Positive advocacy may yield the desired results.
puffin, while I agree this may be possible... it may not be probable. Weighing factual descriptions given by the student against the newly reported 'feeling' of 'disadvantage', I would not place emphasis on the emotion as compared with other details of posts:

- Small school, redshirted student.

- 7th grade (approx age 13?)- A/B student - NWEA scores unknown - not recommended/referred for advanced 8th grade Language Arts.

- 8th grade (approx age 14?) - drop in grades - student is bored - NWEA scores qualify for advanced 9th grade Language Arts - not recommended/referred for advanced 9th grade Language Arts. The combination of high test scores and low grades may indicate underachievement.

- 9th grade (approx age 15?) - Student desires placement in advanced 9th grade Language Arts, and reports that school says:
1) class is filled.
2) drop in grades justifies lack of recommendation/referral.
3) credit would not be granted as trimester has begun; term is in session.
-- Student appears to be addressing this situation after-the-fact as registration for class in not currently open.
-- The student did not respond as to how far into the term his/her school was, whether there is a waitlist or add-drop policy, whether there is a parent or other in-person adult to assist with research/advocacy, number of other students who qualified for and were interested in advanced 9th grade Language Arts but were not placed in that class.
-- While student states english is a favorite class, posts indicate poor use of grammar/diction beyond that which I typically observe as being attributable to typing on a phone.
-- Student describes school responses as 'complete bull' and 'excuses', and more recently reports 'feeling' at a disadvantage for a recommendation, based on not being active in sports/school/community and holding 'a different religion and positions than the majority of the community'.

In my observation and experience, it takes effort to earn good grades, to be active in community, to advocate. There are many articles written on essential attributes beyond high test scores which contribute to success. Age may be playing a role in student discontent.

I would emphasize areas for the student to apply effort, rather than creating conjecture of bias.

The student may benefit from understanding the overall context into which his/her complaint fits: There are many under-served students, and parents advocate for years in attempt to get needs met. Positive advocacy may yield the desired results.
I would just like to thank you so much for your guidance and will be following your advice, and i do feel my previous comment about some of the administration being bias was somewhat imaginary due to my frustrations.

I will keep this thread updated if any developments occur!

© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum