Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: VR00 Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/11/17 02:54 AM
I would love to be able to share movies such as "Hacksaw Ridge" with my kids. I just wonder what would the minimum age to see such R rated movies? I have been quite comfortable sharing the right PG-13 movies with my 10 year old but not comfortable with this yet.
Posted By: VR00 Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/11/17 04:59 AM
My concern is more about the Gore. Hence used the example of "Hacksaw Ridge"
Posted By: indigo Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/11/17 01:51 PM
I agree with Portia, that it depends upon the child.

Beyond that, it may also depend upon the conversations which the parent is prepared to have with the child, and the messages which the parent wishes to communicate... what do you want your child to have as his take-away after watching this movie?

While I'd not recommend watching in a movie theater, with "Hacksaw Ridge" coming out on DVD this month it may be fine to watch at home... where the image is smaller, you can control the volume, you can stop/pause to have a conversation, and you can also fast-forward if need be.
Posted By: madeinuk Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/11/17 04:05 PM
Yep. In our house muting the 'atmospheric' music helps get through some of the more emotionally charged or painfully suspenseful scenes, for sure.

The ability to fast forward through the obligatory sappy romance stuff or to limit exposure to parts that may not be entirely age-appropriate without detracting too much from the storyline is essential too.
Posted By: VR00 Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/13/17 12:59 AM
Do you kids not complain about the fast-forward?
Posted By: ElizabethN Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 02/13/17 04:54 AM
Children who are covering their eyes and wailing generally do not object to fast-forward. wink
Posted By: indigo Re: Showing Kids R rated movies - 05/01/17 02:49 AM
I'm wondering whether you decided to share the movie "Hacksaw Ridge" with your 10-year old... and how it was received... and processed.

Also, have you seen the online comparisons such as history/hollywood and real/reel? Here is one source, which answered many questions that came up for us, while watching the movie.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum