Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
We have the BIG MEETING this Friday at DD's elementary school for whole grade acceleration. All is in place. She has the WISC, the EOG, the Cogat scores - all good. The school asked for DD9 to take the ITBS. She ended up taking the 7th grade level and our psych. said her scores showed that DD needed to be moved up to 5th (if not more). A Duke Tip advocate also said that DD needed to be moved up. I added up the numbers on the Iowa Acceleration Scale, and the score stated DD was good to go (school district uses the scale). So, a few minutes ago the AIG teacher at the school calls, apologizing; the district wants to know if DD took the Woodcock Johnson, and if not, the AIG teacher was supposed to pull her out of class right now and administer the test. The AIG teacher muttered that she didn't always know why the district did things the way they did. Bother!! DD did take the WJ last Spring and the psych. noted that DD did not do nearly as well on it as her IQ scores would indicate (this is noted in the test results). This was the point where DD was found to have ADHD inattentive type. I guess my gripe is that, once again, they are pulling a last minute request on us (as last meeting), and that DD's poor scores on an old test will work against the grade skip.
I don't know if I am asking for advice or a shoulder to cry on. We have done everything the district has asked of us and now it does this.
PS - I shouldn't say "poor scores" on the WJ. They weren't BAD they just aren't "IQ-worthy".
Fingers crossed for you. Given that the numbers meet the recommendation level, I would hope that they rely on that tally, particularly given her other achievement scores. Hang in there!
It seems like you have enough data without the Woodcock Johnson and them pulling her out last minute in the middle of the day might not give you accurate results. Sad that schools make GT parents jump through hoops just to get an education.
Originally Posted by Momma Bear
It seems like you have enough data without the Woodcock Johnson and them pulling her out last minute in the middle of the day might not give you accurate results. Sad that schools make GT parents jump through hoops just to get an education.

It all worked out in the end - I posted yesterday that DD9 is now a 5th grade AIG student!! Whew!!!
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum