Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Grinity Best Places to get Educational Assesment? - 12/28/06 10:02 PM
Hi All,
I wanted to get your advice on your experiences of the best places to test do an Educational Assesment...ours was done through the school and at a local psychologist who told me (afterwards) that my son was the highest child he had ever tested - that's not a good thing!

Here's a Davidson Gifted Database article link on the general topic that you may find helpful: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10112.aspx

Here's a link to hoagiesgifted on this topic:
http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm#list

OK - who do I feel comfortable reccomending?

Paul Beljan, PsyD, ABPdN, pediatric neuropsychologist, Beljan Psychological Services
4350 E. Camelback Rd. Suite E-250, Phoenix, Arizona 85018, phone: (602) 957-7600, fax: (602) 957-7604, e-mail: beljanpsy@qwest.net

Colorado
Gifted Development Center Denver (SB L-M)
Linda Silverman, Director, Betty Maxwell, Associate Director
phone: Denver (303) 837-8378 or toll free 888-GIFTED1, e-mail gifted@gifteddevelopment.com

Kentucky
Edward R. Amend, Psy.D, Amend Psychological Services, Lexington (SB L-M)
phone: (859) 269-6465, e-mail dramend@amendpsych.com

Minnesota
Deborah L. Ruf, Ph.D., Educational Psychologist, Golden Valley
e-mail educationoptions@cs.com, phone: (612) 521-3784

Washington
Fernette Eide M.D. and Brock Eide M.D. M.A., Neurolearning
6701 139th Place SW Edmonds WA 98026, phone: (425) 742-2218, fax: (425) 742-8115, e-mail feide@neurolearning.com
Interest in helping 'twice exceptional' individuals - gifted children with strong learning differences, learning disabilities, and other disabilities (including sensory integration, dysgraphia, pre-maturity)

Iowa
http://www.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/clinic/

Does anyone want to comment, add, or subtract any more names?
Thanks,
Trinity
Hi, Trinity! I don't have anything to add, but I do want to thank you for sharing this information! Some of these names I recognize, such as Dr. Amend (obviously) and Linda Silverman.

Your child must be quite a handful! I'll try to read back a little to see if I can get to "know" him. He's a Davidson Young Scholar, is that right?

Again, thank you for all that you do!
Our son was tested at the Belin-Blank Center at the Univ. of Iowa. We were very pleased and plan on heading back in a couple of years as needed for retesting. They also offer summer classes that were in session when we there - quite a busy place at that time! We may consider having DS attend a class when he is old enough.

In the Chicago area, I am vaguely familiar with Elizabeth Mika. She specializes in working with GT kids. She is located in Gurnee, IL. I only had a phone conversation with her but we were most likely going to take DS to her for testing, until we learned more about Belin-Blank. We only went to Iowa due to travel issues getting into Chicago! So I would recommend contacting Ms. Mika for info if you live in Chicago.
email: elamika@yahoo.com
phone: (847) 543-9550
Thanks Debbie,
There is nothing like first hand experience,yes? I'm glad yours was good.
T
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum