Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: slnews2 Advice please: Approach new school - 04/21/14 02:44 PM
We are relocating and deciding between 2 public schools. Private is not an option. One offers a formal gifted program. The other does not. Can anyone offer insight as to how to approach the schools with private testing reports and have a discussion on

1) for the school with formal program, how to get kiddos considered for/into the gifted ed for the one school

2) (having difficulty phrasing this question) - for the school without formal program, how does it work with similarly situated students: differentiation, etc.?

Also, do schools place more emphasis on transferring student record or the current private testing that addresses the underperformance?

Thank you
Posted By: daytripper75 Re: Advice please: Approach new school - 04/21/14 03:28 PM
I think it depends on the policies that the schools have in place. I know at our TAG school there is a testing period. If you are not tested during the testing period, you have to wait until the next testing period. No exceptions.

I would call and ask to meet the principal at both places.
Posted By: cammom Re: Advice please: Approach new school - 04/21/14 03:39 PM
We may have to move over the summer and I went for the direct approach.

I found a district-wide gifted office/ program supervisor. I provided the IQ and achievement test results over the phone and asked about our options. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the district had a lot of options.

For the school without a formal GT program, they may still offer subject area acceleration or grade acceleration, if it's something you want to consider.

I wouldn't call the school directly- I would talk with the district headquarters gifted office or someone in admissions/curriculum, depending on who can answer your questions.

I have discovered with one experience that candid is best. We ended up moving from a private elementary school. I realize in hindsight that by not providing IQ test scores and being a polite but direct advocate for my ds, that I may have contributed to the problem. I felt timid and "braggy" by stating the truth and the school didn't meet his needs because he didn't present as a high achiever.
Posted By: slnews2 Re: Advice please: Approach new school - 04/23/14 09:44 PM
Thank you. Yes, we tried the polite route here with limited success. I will try the district level first and see if having a candid conversation with data points will work better.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum