Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Cathy A Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 02:28 AM
Well, DS had a good first day. I was really encouraged when his teacher greeted me when I dropped him off and told me that she was "so glad" to have DS in her class. That's what I was really hoping for--that he would have a teacher who welcomed him. smile
Posted By: crisc Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 02:35 AM
I am so glad that the teacher offered those few simple words. IMO, it makes all the difference when the teacher actually wants the child. I hope the 2nd day of 2nd grade goes just as smoothly.
Posted By: Austin Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 05:48 AM
Yeah!!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 05:55 AM
I'll keep you posted, but hopefully there will be nothing dramatic to post.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 11:29 AM
YEAH!!!! On great 1st days!
Posted By: JBDad Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 01:01 PM
Glad to hear it!

JB
Posted By: Kriston Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 02:01 PM
I was wondering how it was going for your DS, Dottie. So it seems like a good fit for him?

Thanks for the update! I like keeping up with "our" kids. smile
Posted By: Jool Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 11:50 PM
Glad it went well, Cathy! I think my DS6's first day of 2nd went okay - what little I can squeeze out of him in conversation wink He did say that a lot of the other kids already knew each other so he hasn't really engaged much with the other kids - but I'm not sure I should be concerned at this point about it... He said it didn't bother him...
Posted By: Jool Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 11:53 PM
Oh, I just noticed your post Dottie. I'm happy this year is much less chaotic for your DS and that you've made leaps and bounds with the support. It's nice to see that advocacy pays off in the long run smile
Posted By: incogneato Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 11:56 PM
Hey, all, I've been out of town and just catching up. Congrats on the positive first days so far, It sounds great!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/04/08 11:57 PM
I'm glad DD13 is doing well with your DS's skip, too, Dottie. I know that was a concern, and I'm happy it doesn't seem to be a problem. Yay!

I love it when a plan comes together! laugh
Posted By: Kriston Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/05/08 12:07 AM
I think it's a very good solution, and I really hope it continues to work well. A few snide comments are to be expected. Heck, kids who don't accelerate are liable to attract a few of those! That sounds like business as usual to me. Nothing of concern whatsoever. And that's good news. smile

I like good news! laugh
Posted By: incogneato Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/05/08 12:22 AM
LOL! That's sweet, Dottie!
Posted By: Kriston Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/05/08 12:49 AM
LOL! They'll always be our babies, won't they? grin

That's okay by me!
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 09/05/08 02:24 AM
Nothing to report today except skinned knee at recess.
Posted By: Cathy A Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 10/02/08 04:01 AM
Update: DS reports that kids kept asking him how old he is. He told them 5 1/2 but they said, "No, you're not!" and insisted that you have to be at least 6 to be in 2nd grade. His solution? He said, "Oh, I was just kidding. I'm 6 1/2." That seemed to satisfy them.

He told me this kind of sheepishly on the way home from school as if he thought I would be upset about him lying. But I said that how old people are isn't that important, so if he wants to tell them he's 6 1/2, it doesn't matter to me.

I don't know if that was the right thing to say or not, but it seemed like the right thing at the time. crazy
Posted By: Grinity Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 10/02/08 11:31 AM
I think it's fine. The day after DS12 turned 4, someone asked him his age -
"I'll be 5 on my next birthday."
He started fibbing about his age soon after that - IF he thought he could get away with it.

Posted By: Cathy A Re: Good first day of 2nd grade - 10/02/08 04:54 PM
Good. I feel better about it. Lying wouldn't occur to me, and I'm a terrible liar, but if it works for DS, I guess that's ok.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum