Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Michelle6 gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/19/12 12:16 PM
It's been a struggle since DS was in kindergarten to get any kind of differentiation or extra challenge. Usually it's 3/4 of the way through the year when it finally happens, and then it tapers off within a few weeks. I was seriously thinking about moving to a different school district, or looking for a place that had a good private school. This year, however, things seem to have changed! DS has a teacher who differentiates EVERYTHING from reading, to math, even social studies. In math, it is still a bit easy for him, but he is learning, and filling in the gaps from the things that I taught him at home. DD is in first grade, and has the most awesome teacher ever! Her teacher went to bat for her with the school librarian, who wouldn't let her check out chapter books. She put her on an accelerated math program without me even having to ask. And she told me that she hopes I am not offended that she is holding DD to a higher standard than most with her writing, so what may work for some of the other kids will not cut it for DD.
To add icing to the cake, their school is participating in the Race to the Top program, which allowed them to get Rosetta Stone Software. My first and third grader are learning French! AND they can practice at home through the school web site. AND it's actually a challenge for both of them!
No real question or concern here, I was just so happy about all of this I wanted to cry - so I had to tell someone. wink
Posted By: Peter Re: gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/19/12 12:40 PM
Awesome!

It's not everyday that we hear stories like this. My hats off to the teacher and the school.
Posted By: ABQMom Re: gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/19/12 01:45 PM
Michelle - wonderful news! It is lovely when everyone is on the same page! Enjoy the year,
Posted By: Melessa Re: gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/19/12 02:39 PM
Wow! That's great! Please it's so nice to hear when a teacher/ school gets it right! Thanks for sharing! (And gives me hope for maybe next year)
Posted By: Evemomma Re: gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/19/12 04:32 PM
Yay for long-awaited success! Maybe these awesome teachers can share their perspective with you on how they seem to "get it".
Posted By: Old Dad Re: gifted-friendly teachers?!? - 10/22/12 01:35 PM
Now that you're in tune with a teacher who differentiates well, during conference, use her as a resource. Ask her for her recommendations of teachers in the building who also differentiate well and then request those teachers in future years. Teachers who "Get it" when it comes to differentiation, also usually know the other teachers in the building (and often the district) who also do so.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum