Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #99618 04/16/11 11:45 AM
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    I just found out that my 12-year-old son has my credit card number memorized. I have only occasionally let him use it and it has been at least a month since I last let him use it. He says he never tried to memorize it, he just remembers it. When I let him make an online purchase today he was able to type the number correctly without looking at the card and he also remembers the 3-digit number on the back. He only needs to look at my card to double check that his "dyslexia" which he has not been diagnosed with didn't cause him to accidentally transpose any numbers.

He always memorized lines faster than most kids but he never really talked about his ability to memorize numbers. He says he has always been able to do this.

I don't have my credit card number memorized. My husband doesn't have it memorized either and we don't have "learning disabilities."

Sounds like he has a great memory. I wonder if he remembers it via his visual system or auditory system, or both? I'm sure his memory is a great gift!

mich #99650 04/17/11 09:24 AM
    L
    Lori H. Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    His learning style is both auditory and visual. Only his motor memory seemed to be a problem and that has gotten so much better. He has been in musical theater since age 4 and he used to have trouble remembering dance steps, but now he has no trouble with last minute changes to the choreography like when one of the kids doesn't show up for the performance and they have to change things 30 minutes before the show.

That is pretty darn good memory! I used to do testing for point of sale systems, and had a couple of the dummy card #s memorized; more by feel on the 10-key than in my visual memory...but that was only after many many (many) repetitions of keying them!
    If ds10 had that info I could rest easy...dd4, not so much wink

N
    N
    Maybe a photographic memory -- it's processing more as a picture than as a string of numbers that might be dyslexically mixed up.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations