Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks aculady, but I'm from Canada . . . I've been looking around in my area and haven't found anything good yet.

N
    Nik Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    The point is that with a summer camp experience that really rocks their world, you can 'keep hope alive' throughout the school year.

So true, and, in my opinion, worth every penny even if you have to travel. Best therapy out there as far as I am concerned.

Good luck with the testing next month. I know for us, having the test results really changed the game for everyone in the family and we are all so much happier and closer as a result of the enlightenment.

I
    I
    Agreed on the summer program experience, the ones we have done have been totally worth it for our kids AND have provided academic motivation in some cases. Our best experience has been with Davidson's THINK -- D16 went last summer and can't wait to go back this summer.

V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Thanks for the advice.

I guess I should start looking harder for academic summer camps. We'd be willing to travel, but don't think he'd be eligible for any of the US summer programs. I did see that international students could apply to CTY. Unfortunately his first language is French and although his English is functional, I'm sure he wouldn't qualify on an English test.

Any Canadians in the group with suggestions? I haven't found anything even closely equivalent to what I've seen posted here.

Last edited by Verona; 04/08/11 02:17 PM.
    CTY asks that kids take the US college test, called the SAT. I don't know if SAT is given in French, but there is a section only with Math, and if your child qualifies in Math he can take Math and many Science classes. They would be in English, but I would give it a try anyway. About a third of the kids at my son's CTY site are from overseas, by my son's estimate.

First thing to do is to look at the College Board site and get the testing started.

(I've put my son on an airplane to go to camp at age 12. If you can afford it, it's fine.)

Enjoy,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    You guys are awesome. Thank you!

DS11 is more wordy than mathy, so I'm pretty sure he wouldn't do well enough on the math SAT.

CFK -- thanks so much for those links. We are close to both Ottawa and Montreal.

I had seen a number of the McGill camp listings, and in fact was going to sign him up for a camp on insects at the Biodome but it was full. I'll do this earlier next year!

I checked out the University of Ottawa site (which I had somehow missed in my web searching -- thanks so much for the link!), and they do have French camps.

So far we have three weeks of camp: a stop-motion animation film camp; a cartooning camp; and either the science camp at U of Ottawa or a naturalist camp that he did last summer and liked a lot (learned about mushrooms, etc and walked around provincial parks).

Originally Posted by Verona
    Any Canadians in the group with suggestions? I haven't found anything even closely equivalent to what I've seen posted here.

Feeling your Canadian pain out here on the east coast. If you do find anything, please let ME know!!

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    V
    Verona Offline OP
    OP Offline
    V
    Kathleen'smum: In fact, there is a camp that I thought looked great in Nova Scotia! Its not really academic, but it looked like it would appeal to my DS11 and teach him some new skills, like programming in Gamemaker. Here's the site (sorry haven't figured out how to make a link in the reply window):

artechcamps.com

"Artech offers workshops and camps in �art-based� or �creative� technologies. These include robotics, animation, Claymation and video game creation. ... "

O
    O
    [quote=Verona]Thanks Grinity and HK.

Grinity - I am a master at self-blame, so maybe I shouldn't read this book! Even the short "check lists" on her website started worrying me . . . does your child have a perfectionist parent (yes, me), was your child given too much attention in the first years (yes, from me), etc, etc.

I am looking more for what TO do. quote]

I am half way thru the Rimms book on Why do smart kids get bad grades.

Something I took from the book that helped me is to Model appropriate behavior. I certainly needed this reminder.

Don't complain about your job, even if it's house work. Parent's attitude can be reflected in their children.

I have since been more ambitious around the house. When I complete a big job I expressed how I feel good about it.

I also try to model and praise organization and responsibility.

Teach it's ok to make mistakes and just fix them. Perfectionism can get in the way of good grades

Best of Luck

Last edited by onthegomom; 04/10/11 08:10 PM.
    A
    A
    I haven't read through this whole thread, but remembered the search for Canadian summer camps when I stumbled upon this...

http://www.tcet.com/psa/

A.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM