Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 359 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #98683 04/04/11 05:29 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    I just had to share because DH is out and i have to tell someone, it was just so unexpected that I am kind of blown away. Took DS to ped for a couple of nagging health issues which we didn't know were something or nothing, turns out he is fine but need a bit of treatment It's a group practice and we have a favorite but she is on leave, so made an appt with 2nd favorite who we don't usually see so she doesn't know us well.

DS is 5 and when she came in he was reading, and all through the visit she was asking him questions and really talking to him. After she and figured out what she needed to know about why we came, she starts asking me all this stuff about school and what he's into, and I was honest but not really elaborating sort of my usual and suddenly she says you might want to consider Mensa jr for support - i think I hurt my neck, it snap to attention so fast. So I say i go online to davidson and she says oh yes, great org, probably be helpful for you, you know he's going to need several grade skips!!!!! Hello! 10 minutes with him, why pay for testing!!! Then she asks what we are supplementing with and I tell her and tell her how we moved to hopefully get better options, and she said it will be tough, I mention a better peer classroom, she says, just needs 1 or 2 on the same level, etc. On and on!

It was probably more frank in front of DS than I would have liked, not sure he was listening about that we moved for better school options, but seriously this was the best conversation in real life I have ever had with anyone about my kid outside of family. This place has been the only place to be real and suddenly out of no where comes this
    awesome, you are doing a great job, he is doing great, keep it up, it will be tough, but you are doing great!!!

It was so unconditionally supportive and encouraging i didn't want to go. And of course we will change pediatricians due to the move!!!!

Anyhow, just had to share, not sure why, maybe just want to document the 5 minutes of my day where I get to be real about the full range of my awesome kid and got some credit not for being a PITA or so self absorbed or living vicariously and didn't have to guard my tongue for fear of insulting another parent. Wow. I'm not sure I knew I felt that way until suddenly the veil was lifted.

DeHe

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations on finding a great ped.

Lovely story! Thank you for sharing.

Wow, DeHe! That almost made me tear up! How wonderful to be unguarded and supported and understood! And to think it happened in the real world and not just here. Yea!

She thought she could, so she did.
    Nice! I'll bet that doc either has an HG+ kid, or went through grade skips herself. I always find that it's me educating the doctors about GT issues. Lucky you!

J
    J
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Anyhow, just had to share, not sure why, maybe just want to document the 5 minutes of my day where I get to be real about the full range of my awesome kid and got some credit not for being a PITA or so self absorbed or living vicariously and didn't have to guard my tongue for fear of insulting another parent. Wow. I'm not sure I knew I felt that way until suddenly the veil was lifted.

Wow! That was great to hear/read. Awesome! smile

K
    K
    That's great! I've actually happily had that same experience with a couple pediatricians myself. Our current is very much on board with homeschooling for our kids. :-)

N
    N
    Excellent! I'll bet you go to that one from now on! smile

G
    G
    smile

"If children have interest, then education will follow" - Arthur C Clarke
    B
    B
    That is AWESOME!!!! Did anyone participate in that survey about how well or not Dr.'s understand gifted children? I think it was through SENG, but I could be wrong. It was about 2 months ago. There is some study going on about how Dr.s don't really ask about gifted children's needs or make recommendations etc.

Wonderful to hear that there are some out there! I have to say, I am a believer in things happening for a reason. I think this Dr. was meant to fall into your lap! Use it as a resource! That is wonderful!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM