Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 246 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #98150 03/29/11 01:32 PM
    T
    OP Offline
    T
    Most of you have heard my complaints that my son is bored to tears at school. We've tried several options - I sent him a notebook with extra (more advanced) work to do, but it made him feel isolated from the class and he didn't want to do it. His teacher gave him a "journal" where he could write and draw pictures in his spare time. He's done it so much, it's become as boring to him as the rest of the assignments. He's read so many extra books, he's beginning to not enjoy reading anymore, either. We're still supplementing at home, which he enjoys (most of the time, depending on his mood), but that does little to make up for seven hours of boredom every day. I even tried getting him into a magnet school - but students are chosen by lottery, and he didn't get in. So I'm back to square one. Should I try to get him skipped a grade? It was briefly mentioned several months ago, but only by his teacher (no one who has the power to actually do it) and hasn't been mentioned since. So I'm wondering how I should bring up this subject without sounding like an overbearing mother who is convinced her child is a genius (I used to teach - I know they have no shortage of those parents). Are there other options available? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated - we need to do SOMETHING before he loses interest in academics entirely.

Play the social and emotional well being card. That's the only one that most schoolies care about.

Request a meeting, cry over how unhappy he is, ask for ideas, be ready to nod when they suggest a trial gradeskip to see if it helps. Keep stressing that you want to see your smiling happy boy again.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM