Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
    B
    B
    An essay "Why Can't a Princeton Woman Be More Like a Princeton Man?" by John Rosenberg at the site Minding the Campus
    http://www.mindingthecampus.com/forum/2011/03/why_cant_a_princeton_woman_be_.html

explains why Princeton does not have a problem:

'[T]his report spends much of its 89 pages describing the ways in which Princeton women are different from Princeton men, and the remainder of its pages recommending measures to combat the �stale old-fashioned stereotypes� that women are different.
    Evan Thomas describes these recommendations as an effort �to bolster women's confidence and prod them to seek prominent positions.� And prodding does indeed describe what Tilghman, Keohane, et al. believe their female undergraduates need. Despite their strained attempt to celebrate all the hard work that female undergraduates do behind the scenes, I think a fair reading of this report indicates that its authors want Princeton women to act more like Princeton men.

President Tilghman and Professor Keohane, meet Professor Henry Higgins: �Why Can�t a Woman Be More Like a Man?�'

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by MonetFan
    I find it interesting that you type "LOL" in response to what is very probably an actionable employment decision. Not that your wife, if she is a typical female, would actually dare to file suit and make herself even less marketable as a result.

Part of the LOL was because she has contacts in the firm with the other executive assistants and other worker bees who keep her informed.

At first she was told she "Needed a degree." and then "Needed real world experience." and then "Need to show proof of ability." which she has in all areas.

But this firm cannot get past her sex appeal and their first view of her as being fresh out of High School - among other things.

Senior management has this view of the world that does not really represent the real world. They think a man with fake credentials is worthy while proven performers are not.

But this is no different from other places that also lack an objective strategy for managing, promoting, and mentoring people.

In the case I write about above, all the objective standards say "HIRE NOW!" yet they do not follow them.

Which is what the OT is about.

I see the same process at other firms as well as the one I am at now. People are thrown into new situations and when they screw up, rather than mentoring them and helping them learn, they get blamed. Or past goofiness sticks to people even though they have grown and matured.

Last edited by Austin; 04/13/11 11:06 AM.
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    [quote=Austin]
    My alma mater often disgusts me. Have you heard of the case of Harvard Law student Stephanie Grace, forced to apologize by the shool for broaching the topic of racial differences in IQ
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113659595336161 ?

The Dean's comments :

Harvard Law School dean Martha Minow issued a statement saying, "This sad and unfortunate incident prompts both reflection and reassertion of important community principles and ideals. We seek to encourage freedom of expression, but freedom of speech should be accompanied by responsibility. This is a community dedicated to intellectual pursuit and social justice. The circulation of one student's comment does not reflect the views of the school or the overwhelming majority of the members of this community."

This is a very interesting quote. It gives me the creeps.

Structurally and culturally, the Dean's comments are no different than that from any other Old Boy's Club.

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/25_percent_of_lawyer_moms_leave_the_workplace_study_finds

A study finds that in comparison to medicine, where only 6% of mothers leave the work force, 25% eventually do so in law. The need for family-friendly work policies is cited.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Iucounu
    http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/25_percent_of_lawyer_moms_leave_the_workplace_study_finds

A study finds that in comparison to medicine, where only 6% of mothers leave the work force, 25% eventually do so in law. The need for family-friendly work policies is cited.

Who needs more lawyers?

Professions with an "up-our-out" career ladder demanding total commitment to make partner (or get tenure) will have more women dropping out, because they want to spend time with their children and in general, "have a life". Men do too, but a higher fraction of them are willing to sacrifice everything for their careers.

At many law firms and consulting firms, you need to make partner or leave. Doctors are not pushed out of medical practices in the same way, and this can make medicine a more appealing profession for women.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    J
    J
    Over 50% of medical school classes in the US are currently are female. BUT, women are still overwhelmingly clustered in poorly valued medical professions like pediatrics or internal medicine. And, women physicians are paid on average something like only 80% of what a male physician makes, EVEN when you account for women working part-time, etc. It is a little depressing.
    In my field of interventional cardiology, only about 10% of such physicians nationally are female.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Who needs more lawyers?

We need more women lawyers to achieve equality, though the field is definitely choked right now overall. There's no reason that further advances can't be made in offering family-friendly policies, as is already occurring in greater measure all the time. We're not talking about Navy SEALs here, and some of the best lawyers I know work from home a fair amount of the time anyway.

Behind a lot of men who "sacrifice everything" are women who stay at home, taking care of the household and enabling the man to go out and earn. In an era when alimony awards occur less and less, it continues to be a major justification in many awards for stay-at-home mothers today that they contributed to their husbands' professional careers. There may be more bachelor workaholics out there than bachelorettes, but I wouldn't know and think it is bound to be a secondary phenomenon.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Over 50% of medical school classes in the US are currently are female. BUT, women are still overwhelmingly clustered in poorly valued medical professions like pediatrics or internal medicine. And, women physicians are paid on average something like only 80% of what a male physician makes, EVEN when you account for women working part-time, etc. It is a little depressing.
    In my field of interventional cardiology, only about 10% of such physicians nationally are female.

An NYT op-ed says the productivity of female doctors does not match that of men because the women want more work-life balance.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/opinion/12sibert.html
    Don�t Quit This Day Job
    By KAREN S. SIBERT
    June 11, 2011

But the productivity of the doctors currently practicing is also an important factor. About 30 percent of doctors in the United States are female, and women received 48 percent of the medical degrees awarded in 2010. But their productivity doesn�t match that of men. In a 2006 survey by the American Medical Association and the Association of American Medical Colleges, even full-time female doctors reported working on average 4.5 fewer hours each week and seeing fewer patients than their male colleagues. The American Academy of Pediatrics estimates that 71 percent of female pediatricians take extended leave at some point � five times higher than the percentage for male pediatricians.

This gap is especially problematic because women are more likely to go into primary care fields � where the doctor shortage is most pronounced � than men are. Today 53 percent of family practice residents, 63 percent of pediatric residents and nearly 80 percent of obstetrics and gynecology residents are female. In the low-income areas that lack primary and prenatal care, there are more emergency room visits, more preventable hospitalizations and more patients who die of treatable conditions. Foreign doctors emigrate to the United States to help fill these positions, but this drains their native countries of desperately needed medical care.

J
    J
    Yes, but studies show that when you account for number of hours worked, etc., women still earn only 80% of what the male physicians earn. This finding is fairly true of most professions in the USA- in corporate law, science, etc., women earn less then men.

Last edited by jack'smom; 06/12/11 07:49 AM.
    S
    S
    When I selected my first pediatrician for my first born, I used a female pediatrician in sole practice. The city had an after hours pediatric clinic (associated with the medical school) that was for weekday evenings, Saturday evenings and all day Sunday.

My ped hired another female ped to cover all day Wednesday so she could have that day off (only sick visits, well check visits weren't scheduled on Wednesdays) and once a month on Saturday mornings my ped had office hours (those hours were for 4 practices' patients and only if it couldn't wait until Monday).

Both women were extremely happy with the arrangement. The practice owner didn't have to work her one Saturday a month and didn't have to work Wednesdays. The part timer worked 5 or 6 days a month while her children were very small. I think the plans were when her children were older for her to become a partner in the practice and they would hire another part timer when the practice grew big enough to handle it.

I don't see that as under productivity. The practice was well run, successful, and met the needs of both the women and the patients.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM