Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 437 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    http://gcq.sagepub.com/content/55/1/39.abstract
    The Effects of Acceleration on High-Ability Learners: A Meta-Analysis
    Saiying Steenbergen-Hu
    Duke University, Durham, NC, USA, ss346@duke.edu
    Sidney M. Moon
    Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA
    Gifted Child Quarterly

Abstract

Current empirical research about the effects of acceleration on high-ability learners� academic achievement and social� emotional development were synthesized using meta-analytic techniques. A total of 38 primary studies conducted between 1984 and 2008 were included. The results were broken down by developmental level (P-12 and postsecondary) and comparison group (whether the accelerants were compared with same-age, older, or mixed-age peers). The findings are consistent with the conclusions from previous meta-analytic studies, suggesting that acceleration had a positive impact on high-ability learners� academic achievement (g = 0.180, 95% CI = -.072, .431, under a random-effects model). In addition, the social�emotional development effects appeared to be slightly positive (g = 0.076, 95% CI = -.025, .176, under a random-effects model), although not as strong as for academic achievement. No strong evidence regarding the moderators of the effects was found.

Putting the Research to Use

The findings of this meta-analysis suggest that acceleration influences high-ability learners in positive ways, especially on academic achievement. An important message for educators, parents and students is that high-ability learners can benefit from acceleration both in the short-term and in the long run. Specifically, accelerated students tend to outperform students who are not accelerated in their performance on standardized achievement tests, college grades, degrees obtained, status of universities or colleges attended, and career status. Accelerants equal or surpass non-accelerants in self-concept, self-esteem, self-confidence, social relationships, participation in extracurricular activities, and life satisfaction. It is informative for policy-makers that acceleration programs, especially university-based early college entrance programs, have been frequently assessed and appear to be the most effective. In summary, acceleration can be effective both in K-12 education and in college. Parents are encouraged to consider acceleration for their academically talented children and educators are encouraged to make acceleration options available.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Also noted here:

http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....1153/Effects_of_Acceleration_on_Hig.html

It's certainly a helpful one to add to the pile when arguing for acceleration.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    T
    T
    Thank you for this post.
    I worry all the time if I did the right thing by accelerating my DS8. So far so good but I worry about the long term affects.

Originally Posted by traceyqns
    Thank you for this post.
    I worry all the time if I did the right thing by accelerating my DS8. So far so good but I worry about the long term affects.
    Hi Traceyqns -
    I wish that every child had access to school programs where they could be with age-peers who had equal academic readiness in their local neighborhoods. Then we wouldn't have to second guess ourselves. But for now, we try the best we can, and there will certainly be pros and cons to every situation. Try to remember that there is a tendency for grade-skipped kids to blame every bad thing on the gradeskip, and try to ask yourself, could something like this be happening in that alternate universe where we didn't do the skip?

Peace,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    T
    T
    Thanks Grinity.
    That is a good point.
    Who knows the issues that would have arose in that "alternate universe".
    I worry he could throw it in my face one day.

P
    P
    We have kind of dealt with the issue of uncertainty by thinking of the grade skip as having an extra year. This is what is right for us now, I think, but if a time comes when we need an extra year, we have it. (Or want an extra year - my husband would like to take a year sabatical from his teaching job and teach in a foreign country which would also be a great experience for our son.)

A
    A
    Thanks Grinity.

He could just as easily have thrown the fact that you didn't skip him in your face.

As a parent, no matter what you do and why you do it, and how long you agonize over it, your kid can wind up spending years in therapy complaining that you did it wrong. All you get to do is pick the details he can complain about.

Originally Posted by Deonne
    We have kind of dealt with the issue of uncertainty by thinking of the grade skip as having an extra year. This is what is right for us now, I think, but if a time comes when we need an extra year, we have it.

I would never have thought of that. That's a great way of thinking about a grade skip! Nice to have in my back pocket as we make the jump...

Originally Posted by aculady
    Thanks Grinity.

He could just as easily have thrown the fact that you didn't skip him in your face.
    Yup -
    Originally Posted by Famous Grinity's Mom Camp Story
    My mom used to tell a great story about her own childhood:

Every year, my Grandmother would ask her, "Do you want to go to summer camp?"
    My mom would say "no" and she wouldn't go.

After many years, my mom said "Yes" and had a wonderful time. She came home very upset, and said:
    "Mom, Summer Camp is great! WHY didn't you MAKE me go?"
    "Well you said that you didn't want to go."
    "Mom, how could you listen to ME. I'M JUST A KID!!!!"

If that isn't outward perfectionism at work, I don't know what is!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM