Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    NCmom2 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    So we began an ADHD meds trail with DS8 a few weeks ago. I don't really see a huge attitude change at home, other than the ability to complete homework with a bit less supervision, but at school his behavior seems much improved (only greens! No reds or yellows!). His teacher stopped me in the pick up line and mentioned that DS was her Student of the Day that day. I kept looking over my shoulder to be certain that she wasn't speaking to another parent. But no, it was MY son she was talking about smile

In addition to ADHD and giftedness, DS is dysgraphic and appears to be dyslexic (letter reversals, very low reading achievement relative to IQ). Since the meds, both reading and writing have much improved. He went from level 2 readers to Bridge to Teribithia in about a week. Is this the meds, or was he just ready to make the leap? I have felt for awhile that he was going to make a big gain in his reading. This is a kid who tends to fall behind his peers in academic areas, then slingshot forward at a really dizzying pace. He made a two year leap in math in a three month period earlier this year with no medication. So it could be either. Anyone have a similar experience to share?

I have seen students that appear to have reading fluency (rate and accuracy problems) and or comprehension problems make a "miraculous" recovery once on meeds. It is important to understand what was hampering your son's reading - was it an inability to concentrate/attend, difficulty with working memory? If so, it is reasonable that the medication made a positive difference. If he is an inaccurate and or slow reader due to weak decoding skills (understanding and applying the word patterns and sound symbol relationship), he might need more assistance beyond medication.

I have one child that is severely dyslexic (and has ADHD). While the medication helps him concentrate, it does not solve his reading problems. The other has relatively poor reading fluency - but this stems from an inability to stay focused. While she is not on medication, I have a hunch that medication would help her in this area.

I am glad that school is going better for him and that the teacher recognizes his improvement. I am sure all of you feel better about things!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM