Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 141 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by Breakaway4
    My son will be 10 next week. :-) My approach is to see what he is interested in doing - the things he chooses on his own. When he is engaged in an activity (alone, not with friends) I might just come in and sit. Very often he starts talking about what he is doing and sometimes it leads to other discussions or not. Sometimes it leads to him asking if I want to try, which may or may not lead to a new family obsession for a few weeks (think pokemon or archery). My belief is that just spending time is the important thing and by observing or interacting with him while he is doing something he likes he feels my interest in him and desire to spend time with him.

This is so important and great to do...just spending time with them enjoying what they are into.

You already got a lot of great suggestions so don't have much to add to them except science experiments. You can get tons of books out of the library and do them together. It will be learning for the both of you. If he is into science there are several other things you could do involving building contraptions together, and other experiments. I also love the board game ideas. DS6 is really into strategy games. He is also really into Wii games which could be fun to do together if he is into that. Gets some energy out too in the winter when there is less to do. We may try geocaching this year. We are really into hiking and like camping too. But sometimes, DS enjoys something and I just come and share an interest and hang on for the ride of something he is working on.

Originally Posted by aculady
    DS wanted us to have our own Iron Chef contests at home, which we agreed to, and once the capacity to *win* was involved, you couldn't keep him out of the kitchen.
    Aculady - so many times when you post, I think that maybe it's me posting! You are a seperate person, yes? Sometimes I worry a little.

Wow! Bingo - that winning thing is a gamechanger at our house too.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I
    I
    Good point on adapting to what they are interested in. I have done that with sports over the years. When D was interested in tennis, we played tennis. Her teacher had back to back group kids/adult lessons, so we took lessons together. We went to tennis camp together, too.

When our kids were little, we did a lot of cross country skiing. When our kids got old enough to race on the school team, I tried racing in adult races. We could go out for weekend skis together.

I figure it is a good way for me to get exercise and spend time with them, and they have enjoyed it.

A
    A
    Grinity,

I know that I have seen us both logged in to the forum at the same time, so that is at least circumstantial evidence that we are, in fact, separate people.

A lot of your posts resonate with me, as well.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Thanks so much for the great ideas! I am feeling better.

He has mentioned he was interested in trying the geocaching. I think our zoo or park system has something like that.

I would also like to learn to play tennis better with him.

The contraptions idea is inspiring too. We have made stuff out of recylclables. You just inspired the idea of making like a marble run type of thing with wood and construction stuff. We have done this online before. He would love the cutting, hammering and figuring out. We could even paint it.

I started a family ( keep in the kitchen) sketch book for drawing and writing but his sister has been more interested, but that could change.

He would love the rockets. That also reminded me of another idea that I should look into. I want to go see model airplane competions. I'm not sure we can get one of those planes now but it might be fun for the future.

In urban areas, sometimes in addition to geocaching, there is "letterboxing" which is closely related, but depends more on following a patrol map using riddles.

My DD11 loves letterboxing.

There are also a lot of 'geek-science' books out there now that describe all sorts of very cool home-made contraptions to make out of pretty cheap/recycled supplies.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I second letterboxing! check out letterboxing.org for clues.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 03/03/11 11:27 AM. Reason: added link
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Grinity,

I know that I have seen us both logged in to the forum at the same time, so that is at least circumstantial evidence that we are, in fact, separate people.

A lot of your posts resonate with me, as well.
    Great problem solving - that is indeed a relief!

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent