Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    V
    V
    I also think it is a mole hill it is just that I see myself and DS9. That innate ability to cut to the quick and "see" the true weakness of someone. It is a skill in itself. It is just in how it is used. I used to be quite defensive and would nail anyone before they hurt me. Now I use that sense to try to hilp instead. He will learn and develop w/ guidance.

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JJsMom
    One of my concerns would be the way "mistreating" other children is viewed these days. All schools around the world have "no bullying" policies. If kids' feelings get hurt with his whitty responses, they may feel bullied.

As for the way he reacts, I think it's his "normal" personality. Sarcastic, dry sense of humor that we as adults might gravitate towards, but that which a "normal" 5 year old won't even understand let alone "accept", if that makes sense.

So imo, even when there's a little intention behind it, it's not a huge issue for your DS and his personality. However, it could be a mountain if it's read incorrectly by the wrong person.

JJsMom
    The comments about bullying are so helpful but it so weird to have to think about being appropriate in response meanness - what is acceptable when standing up for oneself, but of course that is an important social component.

So interesting you said he was sarcastic or dry - I would not have characterized him that way because he is sunny and silly with a wild imagination but yeah, inside there is wit and some slyness - almost like an adult peeking through the 5!

And of course, all this brings to mind, one's own behavior. A friend a long time ago told me her daughter's behavior was often like a mirror showing her things she didn't want to see about herself!

DeHe smile

Last edited by DeHe; 02/15/11 12:03 PM.
    Originally Posted by vicam
    I also think it is a mole hill it is just that I see myself and DS9. That innate ability to cut to the quick and "see" the true weakness of someone. It is a skill in itself. It is just in how it is used. I used to be quite defensive and would nail anyone before they hurt me. Now I use that sense to try to hilp instead. He will learn and develop w/ guidance.

As one of those people, I agree.

I'd also add, though, that this can be a hallmark of an Aspie, too-- that unerring ability to just "see" things that others would rather nobody noticed. Socially, most people are good at ignoring those elephants in the room... but Aspies frequently feel particularly compelled to call them out when they are unsure just WHAT to say, but are feeling uncomfortable/pressured to say "something." At least that is how it seems to me (I know several Aspies very well-- ages range from four to fifty years old).

It can sure seem like a deliberate, calculated way to cut someone down to size when observed-- but I'm not sure that it always is that way for Aspies.

Inability to empathize automatically; that really jumps out there for me, too.

Does he seem to understand perfectly well that these statements are horribly cruel or even emotionally shattering to other children? If not, I'd keep Asperger's in the back of my mind.

If so, then that's a very different problem, and yes, I would most certainly address it. It is NOT okay to be verbally abusive just because you want to end an interaction with another person. KWIM? It may be somewhat age-appropriate to lack empathy at this age, but with great gifts (the ability to cut others down like this) comes great responsibility. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM