Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 110 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Ania Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Gurus :-)
    I will have to choose next school year between EPGY and CTY online courses. I am interested in Algebra and English/LA courses. Child(middle school) will be able (I hope!) to take it instead of regular school class.
    Any inside info? Any experience? Why choose one over the other?
    Please share:-)

Last edited by Ania; 02/21/08 05:45 PM.
    Q
    Q
    Hi, Ania,

DS7 is currently taking both. CTY Elementary Problem Sovling I in math - clearly way below the level you're looking at, and EPGY LAW for grades 3-6.

I've done a lot of online reading, and what I've read is that for the lower level math, CTY uses the EPGY software, so there is no difference whatsoever, except for the fact that EPGY is cheaper. The Elementary Problem Solving Courses are exclusive to CTY and fun for young children (much more vibrant with animation, funny characters and content). But I read that the CTY algebra and above unique software is better (or maybe more interesting?) than EPGY. I'm sure you can search and find the same reviews.

I also heard from the psychologist who tested DS that kids love the CTY science courses, but not the language arts courses. But that may be the in person summer programs - not sure.

DS is taking EPGY language arts, and it covers all the bases for grammar, but it's rather dry, boring and repetitive. If you go to the courses page, you can click on any of the courses and see what's covered and try the demos. Also, DS objects that if he gets something wrong they rerun the lecture and rerun the lecture and rerun the lecture. Just what the research says not to do with GT kids. But that's easy to solve - DS is allowed to run around while a lecture is playing (yet) again.

One thing he does (sort of) enjoy is watching his progress after every session. So far, the course is very easy for him, but I can't convince him to do it very often. I believe when you get to the sixth grade level, there is writing involved, too. And there are a lot of exercises. No matter how good you are at the course, it takes a long time to get through them all. DS has done about 500 exercises so far with over 90% accuracy and yet he's only at grade level 3.8 or so (it started at 3.0 in January).

I know nothing about the 7th grade and above programs, so none of this is helpful to you (but may interest others considering these programs for younger children).

Finally, the EPGY tutor is more involved and checks in weekly and emails encouragement. She also holds whiteboard virtual classes. The CTY tutor has emailed after every quiz or test, usually with the wrong info (e.g., referring to a problem on someone else's test), but that's just luck of the draw I'd guess.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

My kids have taken several EPGY courses over the years, but no CTY courses. EPGY can be fairly generous with financial aid, and I don't think CTY usually offers it, though I could be mistaken. As Q said, the math courses are identical for elementary levels, but I don't know about algebra.

I hope someone here has CTY experience...

acs Offline
    Perhaps they are twins separated at birth?

LOL, I wanted to change my avatar and there are so few to choose from... I used the Mary Cassatt one for years and the cartoony purple flower was a departure for me. Didn't realize that Bianca had the babe with the ball... I will have to look for another pic!

I was surprised when I saw that all my old posts suddenly had the new picture ... as if the little purple flower had never been there at all...

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent