Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    Nan Offline
    N
    We've recently found that hemp milk is a good source of Omega 3s--1000 mg per 8 oz glass. It also has about 3700 mg of Omega 6s per serving. I've been trying it with my son, and it seems like it might be helping when he drinks a couple glasses each day. It's hard to know how much is wishful thinking and/or a change in my expectations.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Nan
    We've recently found that hemp milk is a good source of Omega 3s--1000 mg per 8 oz glass. It also has about 3700 mg of Omega 6s per serving.
    Be aware that that's a problem, though: omega 3 and omega 6 compete for the same chemical pathways, so if you also add more omega 6s when you add omega 3s, you lose the benefit of the omega 3s. (The ratio in your hemp milk is still better than the ratio in the average US diet, though.)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Wait a second, what does the Omega 6 do? I was just focusing on the two types of Omega 3.

I just checked, and of all the stuff I bought, only the flax mentions Omega 6. If they are both necessary, and they both compete, I assume it is better to consume them at different times i.e. pills in the am, flax-seed at lunch and fish for dinner - right?

C
    C
    I don't know why anyone would supplement omega 6 - AIUI, almost everyone already gets too many omega 6 fats. See
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega-6_fatty_acid

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Oh, yikes! Thanks for clearing that up Collinsmum, I guess I'm good with what I have then. And maybe I even need to cut down on my beloved avocados and cashews?!!!

C
    C
    And then you've got Omega-9s... lol! I think it's all about balance.

For right now, I'd say that I am cautiously optomistic that dd10 is seeing some improvement. If she continues to test better, I'm going to see if we can at least get the green tea drinking in school and gum chewing during tests formally written into something like a 504 in case next year's school doesn't just ignore her doing those. She's been off her O-3s for about a week b/c she got a horrible tummy bug and was vomitting for days, so we're just now back to trying to get her back on the charts for weight and keeping stuff like algae pills downs! I'll let you know how it continues to go.

T
    T
    Does anyone know if the total essential fatty acids need to be 1000 mg to be effective or if the various components, EPA and DHA, each or either need to be 1000 mg. I ask because my girls currently take Coromega orange squeeze (one packet daily) and the breakdown is this:

2,000 mg fish oil
    650 mg Omega-3
    350 EPA
    230 DHA

my girls are between 30-40 lbs so I am wondering if this is meeting the threshold. They also eat DHA enhanced peanutbutter and egs, and their regular vitamin has a small amount of DHA.

I have read that you need to have a higher EPA to DHA ratio. Does anyone have more information about determining the best ratio and the best amounts of EPA and DHA... I may also post this as a stand alone question. Thanks.

C
    C
    Sorry not to have an answer for you, Twinkle Toes, but I did want to post a quick update since someone asked me to do so earlier after we'd be trying these alternative approaches longer. I fear that we are going to jinx ourselves here, but dd does seem to be continuing to do better on the O-3s and with gum chewing and caffeine than not. Her math letter grade on the soon to be out report card should be a letter grade higher than the last quarter. She got A-s on the last two tests for that class as well. We'll see how it continues to go... Wish me well that I haven't jinxed the kid!

A
    A
    Cricket2,

Unjinx!

I just wanted to mention that omegas really work for some kids. For my kids, they all appear to be adhd. I find that fish oil really calms them down, and as a side effect, their vision has improved (they all wear glasses), and they get less colds. I give my kids liquid fish oil and/or cod liver oil. For some reason, they can't or won't swallow pills, they'd rather take the oil. I give them juice right away, as long as they don't smell it, and have juice right after, they don't really taste it. Also, I give them more like megadoses, 3,000-5,000 mg. I searched these info online, and started them on those high doses. It took about a month for me to notice the difference, and oh boy, is there a difference! A couple of times I had to stop for a few weeks, and they get so impossible, I begin to feel like I'm losing my mind! Within a few weeks of giving the oil again, I notice how much better they get.

The only side effect I see is that its an extra 400 or so calories a day, but their vision has improved, and their health is much better. The oldest used to be on adhd meds, and I was able to take him off them. I never gave the youngest ones, and hopefully won't have to in the future. Anyway, I hope it really works for you. My kids take the Vitamin Shoppe brand (I used to buy a really expensive brand, and was speding $60 a month on it, but one day tried the vitamin shoppe one, and the kids say it tastes the same, now I spend about $18 a month).

The gummies for kids, we tried them, but they would have to eat to many to get a high dosage, so it was way too expensive. Eventually, I hope they will swallow pills, then it will be easy to buy a large amount on sale.

Well, if you feel the gummies work, fine, but if you start noticing a plateu, try to se if you can get your dc to swallow the oil. Also, the gum chewing is a great idea! I read a study was done that shows it helps students do better in school.

http://children.webmd.com/news/20090423/math-plus-chewing-gum-equals-better-grades

Wisdom begins with wonder. – Socrates
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs