Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    V
    V
    How about omega-3 eggs (150 mg per egg I think)?

Here's an article that lists the amounts of omega-3's in a variety of foods.
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/painter/2007-11-11-yourhealth_N.htm

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Nik
    my DD is cracking about me and my "healthy" alternative meds for her...the last one was local honey for allergies, now candy

Now that's the kind of mom every kid dreams of having!

Originally Posted by passthepotatoes
    [quote=Nik]my DD is cracking about me and my "healthy" alternative meds for her...the last one was local honey for allergies, now candy

Did the local honey prove helpful?

N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks for the link Verona, that is useful. Ummm, how they get the omega 3 into the eggs or do all eggs have it? We have access to free range farm fresh eggs so I usually don't buy them at the store.

Either the local honey worked or something else did! The pediatrician wanted to put her on daily steroid meds which horrified me. I think her allergies were more annoying to us than problematic for her since it was just a constant sniff and throat drip thing she had going on. I took that opportunity to kick the cats out of the house in addition to buying an air purifier for her room and putting allergy zip covers on her pillow and mattress and replacing her bedding with hypoallergenic stuff. The problem went away. When we moved, I bought new local honey just in case and so far so good! She loves honey so a spoonful a day doesn't hurt - whether it is actually preventing allergies or not.

Your DD sounds like my dd when she gets into her seasonal allergies...we don't have a cat and we have done all of the pillow covers, air purifier, etc. But as the seasons change, she still has that sniff and cough thing. I wonder if I could get her to do honey...she is not a sweets kind of kid. I suppose if she really won't, I will still have it for my tea!!

Oh...as for the DHA. My younger DD takes Learning Factor. She can swallow them if we keep them in the freezer. I had read that this will cut down on "fish burps" but my dd says they are easier to swallow frozen. go figure.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Nik
    Ummm, how they get the omega 3 into the eggs or do all eggs have it?
    I believe that they feed the hens flax seeds.

In re to the earlier question for me re EPA vs. DHA -- I understand that DHA is more beneficial to the brain processes that impact focus. Your body converts EPA to DHA but how well it does so varies from person to person. Just going straight to the DHA essentially cuts out the middle man. We are using algae based DHA, so, yes, it does come in vegan form. Most other veggie forms of O-3 are not DHA, though.

N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by aculady
    1000 mg of Omega-3 is not a lot - it's about the amount in a 3 oz serving of Atlantic salmon. If you routinely supplement over 3000 mg/day, there can be an increased risk of bleeding, but it is unlikely that you are going to exceed that amount from dietary sources, unless you eat herring three meals a day.

Edit: On the ADD/Asperger's issue - my Asperger's son scores very high on ADD and ADHD scales, but the psychologist who evaluated him believes that, from what she saw during his evaluation, his attention is not actually impaired, and these symptoms are more indicative of executive function issues stemming from his Asperger's than of ADD. This might be something to discuss.

Thanks acculady, I do love herring, but not that much lol. We are supposed to see a Psychologist soon for part 2 of her evaluation, I am glad to know that ADHD signs don't necessarily mean she doesn't have Aspergers, I will see what the Psych says and ask about it. It will be good to have more than one professional weigh in on the matter.

I am also glad to know that the omega 3 will help whether its ADD, AS or just plain being too gifted for her own good! We had salmon burgers last night, will have smoked salmon with cream cheese bagels tomorrow night and grilled salmon Sunday. Yippee, I am using this all to indulge myself YUM!

So if the chicken is fed flax seeds and its eggs hatch, will the chicks be smarter? ;-)

D
    D
    Nik, you asked whether it's possible to have Asperger's and ADHD. Yes, it's possible to have several co-occurring disorders at once. If it goes in this direction for your DD, you might want to chat with some parents on OASIS ( http://www.aspergersyndrome.org/ )-- there are several with dual-diagnosed AS/ADHD kids.

However:

Originally Posted by aculady
    Edit: On the ADD/Asperger's issue - my Asperger's son scores very high on ADD and ADHD scales, but the psychologist who evaluated him believes that, from what she saw during his evaluation, his attention is not actually impaired, and these symptoms are more indicative of executive function issues stemming from his Asperger's than of ADD. This might be something to discuss.

Mine meets this general description to some extent. He does have focus and attention issues (both too much and too little), and ADHD meds do help with these, but the anxiety of Asperger's is equally important to treat to keep him functioning. (DS once had a teacher who swore that he had ADHD... but he doesn't carry that diagnosis, as his attention issues are a part of his AS.)

DeeDee

N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks DeeDee, I guess I need to wait and see what they say after she has seen the Psych.

The diagnostician said she saw a lot of ADHD type traits and that she can usually tell within a few minutes of meeting a kid whether they are Aspie or not and she didn't see anything to raise concern with my DD. Of course DD was on her best behavior, enthusiastic about the testing and having a good day. I spoke with her about the GADS questionnaire and after I described a behavior scenario, she said "well, come on, how long ago did that happen?" when I told her it was last week she said maybe I better go ahead with the AS scale.

I wonder if I should hold off on the Omega 3 immersion until after the Psych interview? I would hate to skew things and get a wrong Dx because of it.

If you are taking the fish oil etc, and skip one day, will your behavior etc go straight back to what it was before?

N
    Nik Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    PS, that's a real peeve of mine...teachers having the nerve to "diagnose" their students. I was one told my DD was "passive aggressive" for not turning in work.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM